The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Ways to feed him my own "brew"? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/ways-feed-him-my-own-brew-133882/)

JaneyWaney9 08-07-2012 11:27 PM

Ways to feed him my own "brew"?

I board my horse, and he lives in the pasture 24/7. We show, but I blanket/fly sheet him accordingly, so he has no need to be in a stall except the night before a show. He's definitely a happy horse that way! He gets no grain, and lives on grass. Every once in a while, or more often if the grass is low or poor quality, the barn owner will put out round bales for the horses to eat. He's definitely no twig...his weight is perfect.

I'd like to give him some stuff to help maintain his coat through the rest of summer and probably into winter. I'd like to give him some flax seed, some oils, and other basics for horses. Since he doesn't get grain, and anything left out for him in the pasture will be fair game for the other horses, I figure I'll give it to him whenever I go out (nearly everyday in the summer, and a bit less during the winter).

I don't see the point in investing in his own bag of grain, as everything is fine health-wise (great weight, great energy level, etc.), and other boarders would help themselves.

What could I give it to him with? Usually I'll mix it in with a fruit salad (he LOVES fruit salad...bananas, cantaloupe, watermelon, apples...) but if he's getting that every day...I don't know if that would be the best. Especially with the price of produce these days!!

Any ideas?

cheshirecat 08-07-2012 11:46 PM

oatmeal! You can make it up at home, add your goodies to it and feed it. My horse LOVES it and its easy/cheap. You can put it on top of the occasional fruit salad as a treat.

vaverill 08-07-2012 11:46 PM

You could give him some black oil sunflower seeds.

LovesMyDunnBoy 08-08-2012 12:39 AM

You could always try soaked beet pulp, just a little
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 08-08-2012 11:40 AM

You can also try grass pellets. Keep the bag at home and just bring as much as you need to mix in the supplements each visit.