The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   weight problems HELP!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/weight-problems-help-13389/)

barrelracingchik101 08-15-2008 12:28 PM

weight problems HELP!!!!

hi. ok i own an appaloosa. when i got him 1 year ago and he waz huge!! he waz realy over weight. and he had a problem with bucking so i sent him to a trainer and he lost like all of his weight he turned to skin and bones. so far i almost got all his weight back on him except his but and hips. ive tryed every thing i coulkd think of. the only thing is i work him all the time on getting ready for are first barrel racing sesion. and i dont want any one to think i dont feed him. this is what i give him-
1 plastic scoop of 10% all grain
1/2 plastic scoop of adfalfa pellets
and 3 flakes of t&a
and i do this twice a day
and he gets wormed once a month
i just dont know what to do

Kirsti Arndt 08-15-2008 12:32 PM

how long was he with the trainer?

Peggysue 08-15-2008 01:16 PM

do you ahve any pictures we can see ???

He is most likely lacking in nutrition most 10% feeds are disigned to be feed at high amounts when in reality if you just increase the nutrition the horse will gain without all the sugars and starches you get in traditional feeds

G and K's Mom 08-15-2008 01:35 PM

Pictures would sure help.

You say he looks thin in his hind end? Could it just be lack of muscle?

Do you see ribs? How heavy is his work load?

6 flakes of good Timothy and Alfalfa ( I'm assuming that's what T&A stood for) if it weighs 20-25 pounds in total is a full day's supply for a horse doing moderate work.

barrelracingchik101 08-15-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirsti Arndt
how long was he with the trainer?

for about 7 months and he waz realy working him hard and i dont think he feed him the amout i told him to

barrelracingchik101 08-15-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peggysue

He is most likely lacking in nutrition most 10% feeds are disigned to be feed at high amounts when in reality if you just increase the nutrition the horse will gain without all the sugars and starches you get in traditional feeds

what would you suddest??

Kirsti Arndt 08-15-2008 03:12 PM

peggysue and G&Ks mom are right pics may show what he is lacking and the sugars are not going to give him the weight you want. good luck with him

barrelracingchik101 08-15-2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&K's Mom
Pictures would sure help.

You say he looks thin in his hind end? Could it just be lack of muscle?

Do you see ribs? How heavy is his work load?

6 flakes of good Timothy and Alfalfa ( I'm assuming that's what T&A stood for) if it weighs 20-25 pounds in total is a full day's supply for a horse doing moderate work.

his ribe do show i littel but his butt bone is poping out and his hips will not fill out. and i have tryed every thinghttp://www.horseforum.com/userpix/49...pics_076_2.jpg

Peggysue 08-15-2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelracingchik101
Quote:

what would you suddest??

I would put him on a ration balancer or smartpaks grass formula vitamin/mineral supplement with free choice hay and possibly add in some beet pulp, alfalfa pellets/cubes, rice bran OR BOSS for added calories ... I would also put him at the upper limits of the ration balancer for the first bag or two ... to increase his nutrition level ...

I am very very anti grain when it comes to feeding my horses daily ... they only get it when I get the guilty although they are fat I think they are starving feeling then they only get 1lb of oats PER DAY !!!

barrelracingchik101 08-15-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelracingchik101
Quote:

what would you suddest??

I would put him on a ration balancer or smartpaks grass formula vitamin/mineral supplement with free choice hay and possibly add in some beet pulp, alfalfa pellets/cubes, rice bran OR BOSS for added calories ... I would also put him at the upper limits of the ration balancer for the first bag or two ... to increase his nutrition level ...

I am very very anti grain when it comes to feeding my horses daily ... they only get it when I get the guilty although they are fat I think they are starving feeling then they only get 1lb of oats PER DAY !!!

what i free choice hay??? i have never hear of it