The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Keeping horses warm in winter (exercising!) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/keeping-horses-warm-winter-exercising-133898/)

HollyBubbles 08-08-2012 04:31 AM

Keeping horses warm in winter (exercising!)

Do you ride your horses in rugs/bandages or anything of the like to get their muscles warm faster or keep them warm during the winter?

My boy is a thick 16.1hh, and is always hurting himself muscle wise in the paddock(back especially), so I make sure to warm him up extra well undersaddle, especially during winter. He has had a bowed tendon before also (in his racing career)

Would it help to use fleece bandages, or an exercise rug or anything like that? Does anybody on this forum do that for any reason?

Saranda 08-08-2012 04:47 AM

I'd just go for taking longer to warm up during colder months. In winter, I personally sometimes take as much as 20 minutes for walking and some stretching exercises only, if I feel it is necessary.

HollyBubbles 08-08-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saranda (Post 1635447)
I'd just go for taking longer to warm up during colder months. In winter, I personally sometimes take as much as 20 minutes for walking and some stretching exercises only, if I feel it is necessary.

I always lunge tackless before I start up with him, to warm up his back before anything is put on it, then I stretch out his neck and front legs once the saddle is on and walk out long and low for around 10-15 minutes before I even think about trotting. So I hope I'm doing this right :lol:

Saranda 08-08-2012 06:04 AM

It certainly seems so, your horse is in good hands. :)

HollyBubbles 08-08-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saranda (Post 1635475)
It certainly seems so, your horse is in good hands. :)

I hope so haha, he's my only mount and is going to uni with me next year on my way to become a vet!