The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Why am I not surprised? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/why-am-i-not-surprised-133917/)

busysmurf 08-08-2012 10:09 AM

Why am I not surprised?

As some of you know, I ended the lease w/ my "project" horse last week. Well I was finally able to get to the barn a week after I gave her back (I was gone for work). Keep in mind for the horse is foundation qh.

The first thing I noticed was her tail. She had this beautiful thick long tail....it was gone:( they had chopped it off at her hocks. Her mane was also pulled.

She was not the easiest horse to work w/ but she was not impossible. She will no longer stand in the cross ties, allow to be bridled, & has tried to throw off everyone that's tried to ride. I know I can't say anything, but I sooo want to say "hmmm, I guess strong arming a horse right off the bat doesn't always work so hot now does it?" ( I was told I wasn't working w/ her correctly in past)

I feel terrible for the horse, but otherwise all I can do is just stand back & shake my head & smile.
Posted via Mobile Device

nuisance 08-08-2012 10:21 AM

I understand, my horse is the same way, you don't "force" her to do anything, or it backfires and training goes 2 steps back. Some people just don't understand that. Her previous owners included!

kait18 08-08-2012 10:27 AM

well the project horse sounds a bit like denny...they will realize soon enough the more they strong arm the worse the horse will get.. and aggression will soon pick up and when they get bite or kicked well then thats on them because they didn't trust your skills.

Country Woman 08-08-2012 10:36 AM

I hope you can help this horse calm down

busysmurf 08-08-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Woman (Post 1635629)
I hope you can help this horse calm down

Unfortunately, the owner currently does not want me to have anything to do w/ her. Even though I offered to keep her going until she was sold.
Posted via Mobile Device

eclipseranch 08-08-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busysmurf (Post 1635608)

The first thing I noticed was her tail. She had this beautiful thick long tail....it was gone:( they had chopped it off at her hocks. Her mane was also pulled.
I feel terrible for the horse, but otherwise all I can do is just stand back & shake my head & smile.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am a long mane & tail person also but banking a tail & pulling a mane is a very common & accepted practice...in fact, it is expected in some disciplines

busysmurf 08-08-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipseranch (Post 1635658)
I am a long mane & tail person also but banking a tail & pulling a mane is a very common & accepted practice...in fact, it is expected in some disciplines

Yeah, I know:) but she's foundation & just a trail horse so it makes her look stupid, LOL
Posted via Mobile Device