The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   What to bring on week-long trail ride? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/what-bring-week-long-trail-ride-133926/)

MariainDC 08-08-2012 10:57 AM

What to bring on week-long trail ride?

Hi! I am new to the forum and looking for some help! I am going on a week-long trail ride where we will camp at a different place every night. The company seems great, but I have gotten very little info on what to bring other than sleeping bag, pocket knife, comfortable clothes and shoes with a heel. I got some Ariat low boots that seem really good, and I ordered a couple of riding breeches online that I should get soon.

Of course I will bring sunscreen, hat, etc. but what else? A friend suggested zink ointment for sore behinds! :) I am in my thirties and haven't been riding regularly since I was 18; now I only ride maybe once or twice a year, so I know I am in for some pain!

The weather will be very hot and sunny. Would appreciate suggestions on what to bring to make the trip as great as possible! For instance, what kinds of shirts.

Thanks!

- Maria

Speed Racer 08-08-2012 11:19 AM

Anti Monkey Butt Powder, Aleve/ibuprofen, and Ben Gay. Yes, really. :wink:

Make sure there's water available, and you might want to bring snacks even if the group provides all meals. You're going to get hungry if you're in the saddle all day.

MariainDC 08-08-2012 11:38 AM

Great suggestions, thanks! Will definitely bring some energy bars, nuts etc. for snacks.

Trying to decide on a small pack/day pack/fanny pack to bring. I have asked the company what they recommend; I assume I want to have room for water, tissues, snacks, medicine etc.

Speed Racer 08-08-2012 11:40 AM

Does the camping outfit provide saddle bags? If so, you won't need a fanny/hip pack.

MariainDC 08-08-2012 11:46 AM

Actually, they just answered me back saying that they provide saddle bags. That helps a lot. More comfortable that way.

Speed Racer 08-08-2012 11:48 AM

That's what I figured. Most professional outfits provide them. :D

What part of the country are you riding? I'm appropriately jealous. I'd love to do a week long pack trip, especially in the Wyoming area of the Yellowstone back country. :-P

MariainDC 08-08-2012 11:51 AM

Actually, it is in Italy! I have never done something like this so I am a little nervous, but also excited of course.

Speed Racer 08-08-2012 11:53 AM

Oooh, Italy would be gorgeous seen by horseback! Now I'm really jealous! :wink:

waresbear 08-08-2012 12:05 PM

Sunglasses and a camera and your own comfy vented helmet. Sounds like a great vacation, enjoy!
Posted via Mobile Device

MariainDC 08-08-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1635850)
Oooh, Italy would be gorgeous seen by horseback! Now I'm really jealous! :wink:

Come along! I am going alone and could use a friend! :) The other riders are from Germany and France, interestingly enough, although the company is based in the UK.