The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Rescue Draft-what kind (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/rescue-draft-what-kind-133946/)

ShannonLoftus 08-08-2012 03:26 PM

Rescue Draft-what kind

Hi. I have come across a rescue draft horse. The rescue place thinks her to be a gypsy cross. I think she is a north american spotted draft, as do those folks at the association. The problem is she has no known history and they won't register her without parentage information. No DNA places can track this down.

Is she valuable? Can I breed her? She is about 16 and had a foal in January (also rescued and since sold for about 3K). She was near foundering when rescued and her feet will need about a year of recovery.

Also, she is branded on her left hip with the number "066" and then below to the right N over R (nothing rocking or whatever).

Does anyone have any idea what type of horse she may be, or her brand origination?
http://www.horseforum.com/www.blogge...06428548272051

I cant get the link to work for the pics, so I pasted it in here. It is a personal blog, but that is irrelevant. I can't seem to post pics from my computer.
http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blo...06428548272051

If you can help or would like pics emailed to you I can do that.

I just would like any input, comment, help I can get.

Thanks so much!
Shannon

FruityFilly98 08-08-2012 05:07 PM

I cant get to either of the pics. Please email me them at lily_porkchop@yahoo.com

I would love to help you

Left Hand Percherons 08-09-2012 12:32 AM

She can't be registered with the spotted draft association but she could be with the pinto draft association. Gayle is the founder of the spotted association and has spun off another registry. She could probably figure out where the mare came from. I'll pm the contact info.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShannonLoftus 08-09-2012 01:41 AM

Thank you so much! Any help would be appreciated. I do think we are bringing her home soon. I just love her.

FeatheredFeet 08-09-2012 03:25 AM

Can't see the pics, so must only go by what you have said.

No Gypsies that I know of, are branded in such a fashion and all are DNA'd. However, there are a lot of Gypsy crosses about. If I saw a pic, I'd have an idea. If she's a big girl, with little or no feather, I'd think she is probably, an ASD.

How much is she worth? Well whatever someone is willing to pay for an older mare of maybe, unknown/unregistered past. Must ask a question though. Why would you want to breed her? Especially as you are apparently starting a horse rescue. There are hundreds of registered, nice horses, put to death each month, because someone thought they'd like to breed. She is 16 and while certainly not past her prime, since she seems to have had a difficult past, maybe she just deserves a nice home now and not used to produce more babies, which might or night not, have many waiting homes. This especially if you are not able to trace her background reliably.

There again, if you look up brands, you might be able to discover a great deal about her. While we hardly ever see purebred Gypsies come into rescue, there have been a few crossbreds. More often though, I have seen quite a few ASDs falling upon hard times.

Lizzie

GreySorrel 08-09-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShannonLoftus (Post 1636150)
Hi. I have come across a rescue draft horse. The rescue place thinks her to be a gypsy cross. I think she is a north american spotted draft, as do those folks at the association. The problem is she has no known history and they won't register her without parentage information. No DNA places can track this down.

Is she valuable? Can I breed her? She is about 16 and had a foal in January (also rescued and since sold for about 3K). She was near foundering when rescued and her feet will need about a year of recovery.

Also, she is branded on her left hip with the number "066" and then below to the right N over R (nothing rocking or whatever).

Does anyone have any idea what type of horse she may be, or her brand origination?
http://www.horseforum.com/www.blogge...06428548272051

I cant get the link to work for the pics, so I pasted it in here. It is a personal blog, but that is irrelevant. I can't seem to post pics from my computer.
http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blo...06428548272051

If you can help or would like pics emailed to you I can do that.

I just would like any input, comment, help I can get.

Thanks so much!
Shannon

The bold is a HUGE head scratcher for me. Exactly WHY are you getting this poor mare?! Seems your intent wasn't to help her, then live her life out being loved and used but money and breeding. If your going into rescuing horses with the intent to flip them and resell them, please reconsider and get out of horses. A horse is only worth as much as the fool buying it is willing to pay. I haven't run across ANY "rescue" horse worth 3k.

ShannonLoftus 08-09-2012 10:46 AM

Ok. to clear things up. I am not in the market to breed. I just thought perhaps for once in her life she might like to raise her own foal and my son could learn about owning a horse from a baby to grown and they could bond to one another. But I think the assumptions made are a bit over-reactive. I am trying to learn something here, not open a foal-mill.

I think I asked those questions too back to back and it was misconstrued, so for that I apologize.

With respect to value, I want to know if she is worth the money and time to find out which registry she could be put on, as someone out there may have one of her offspring and that might help them ( I don't know if anyone would care). Each registry charges fees and the DNA testing required to try and track down her parentage is expensive if even possible as I have made many calls in this regard. It would have no impact on whether I get her or not. I am going back to visit her today and try her out on a halter/lead.

She is not 3K, but apparently that number means something to someone with respect to her foal, and with respect to someone thinking no rescue horse is worth that. Value is what someone is willing to pay-that is correct, but apparently there are those that are and those that are not.

To clarify, she is not that much. I was surprised how little the rescues charged for all the work they put in to bringing these horses back to health and I think they are well within their right for time and effort to charge more.

I also figured since she was branded she was perhaps valuable to someone at some point. However, I have learned of the numerical branding as common place for Premarin mares and that Premarin favored draft breeds, and I was saddened to think she may have lived this life. But the lettered brand makes no sense to me. Plus, what if she was stolen? I think in that case I would want to figure out who the former owner is and try to legally transfer her to me.

There is a lot of mystery with her and I would like to try and solve it.

As for a horse rescue, these horses would be my own on my own property and un-related to the horse rescue for which I would have to buy other property. Horse rescues where I live seem to be limited to those horses seized. We have about four of those and more in the region where I live. We have none really for folks that have fallen upon hard times and want to surrender a horse. That is how I acquired my other horse-the people were going to kill her because of financial purposes, and they had little "value" for her as she is in her late 20s. Now that is someone to take issue with over value as opposed to myself who is only asking questions and trying to figure something out-like why she is in a rescue with what appears to be a plethora of Thoroughbreds and Arabians.

I love her and frankly I love the other as she is beautiful and seems to be kind.

Thanks for letting me clear this up and in the future it might be better to not jump the gun and start assuming the worst of someone just trying to figure a few things out. I have browsed the forums and sadly I see alot of "reactive" answers to folks' questions. If there is some concern perhaps a few more probing questions would be better than a public slap-down. When folks post for the first time, they typically do not write a saga. They throw the questions out there and hope for some response. That is all I am trying to do, but apparently the term "value" has hit a nerve.

Left Hand Percherons 08-09-2012 12:24 PM

The Bryant's in ND were the largest pmu farm that raised spotted drafts. I will check pictures to see what their branding and numbering system was. Don't judge and be ”saddened” by the prospect that she did come off the line. Thete is a plethora of over emotional and downright false information out there on the industry.
Posted via Mobile Device

ShannonLoftus 08-09-2012 01:06 PM

Thank you for your kindness. She is a sweet gal, just needs a lot of love. It makes me ill that people mistreat animals.

I am glad that there may be another side to the PMU issue.

I was able to find that Gayle woman's contact information on their website too.

FeatheredFeet 08-09-2012 01:23 PM

Ok. To clear things up. I am not in the market to breed. I just thought perhaps for once in her life she might like to raise her own foal and my son could learn about owning a horse from a baby to grown and they could bond to one another. But I think the assumptions made are a bit over-reactive. I am trying to learn something here, not open a foal-mill.

I don't think anyone thought you were opening a foal-mill Shannon, but you must understand, that we can only go by what someone says on these forums and to many of us who do rescue, we always worry when we see someone asking the possible worth of a rescued horse and/or wondering if it could be bred.

According to the age of your son and his experience (and yours) with raising a foal, it doesn't always work out well. Bonding is never a given with any horse. Some do bond with their owners and some never do. Also, animals don't usually 'want' to become mothers. We must not confuse them with human desires. Plus of course, at her age, she might not take, have trouble foaling and possibly lose the baby and even her own life. I have heard of more foals and mares being lost this year, than ever before.

I hope you are able to discover her history. Have you researched her brand on the internet? It would be fun to know her background. Much easier these days with the internet of course. Years ago trying to trace the background of a horse, was incredibly difficult. Do try to post some pics of the mare. I'd love to see her. If indeed she is a Gypsy or Gypsy cross, I might be able to find out something of her background.

I also hope you will start a licensed rescue. We do so need more in S. California. A few years back someone discovered a truly gorgeous ASD, tied in a trailer and left to die. He was in very serious condition when found. We never did track his background, but with the help of several very dedicated rescuers, he was eventually brought back to health and found a very happy, pet home.

Lizzie