The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Kitty Won't Stop Sneezing? (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/kitty-wont-stop-sneezing-133947/)

Phantomcolt18 08-08-2012 02:31 PM

Kitty Won't Stop Sneezing?

4 Attachment(s)
So I came home from vacation Monday night around 11:30pm and noticed my cat Soxy was sneezing. I didn't think much of it. But now it's Wednesday and he's still sneezing and it's a little worse. My uncle was coming over every day while we were gone to feed him and change the litter but said he never noticed anything different. Granted he wasnít here very long each time just to feed and scoop litter.

He's not acting different. He's his normal cuddly, weird, purry, talkative self. He's not lethargic. No fever. No runny eyes or runny nose. He's eating and drinking fine and still grooming himself(when he gets sick he doesn't groom himself and his fur gets oily.) He's not struggling to breathe and not coughing. And there doesnít seem to be anything ďstuckĒ up there.

Nothing in the house has changed I use the same cleaning products I always have, the same detergent, same candles, same kitty litter etc. He's strictly an indoor cat. He's UTD on everything.

When he sneezes sometimes it's just one but other times it's many in one sitting. And they're BIG sneezes. I feel so bad cause sometimes it's like he's trying to stop himself but can't. Also when he sneezes I'm guessing it's snot (but it has the consistency of water and is clear) comes out (probably just normal nasal secretions). And he sneezes about every half hour or so no matter what heís doing. He could be sleeping, eating, drinking, walking around, cuddling with me, etc.

I called my vet to schedule an appt and they said they wouldn't be able to get us in until next Tuesday. I told them that if they get an opening to please let me know so I can bring him in. I donít know how long this has been going on and I donít want it to get worse if itís gonna.

Is there anything I can do to help him out while waiting until next Tuesday? I feel so bad for my poor kitty. He doesnít like sneezing at all.

Hereís some pics of the goof while I was typing this :-P

mls 08-08-2012 02:39 PM

Cat Sneezing - Causes, Diagnosis & Treatment of Sneezing in Cats | Cat Health Collection

Phantomcolt18 08-08-2012 03:16 PM

Thank you.

Some things on that list scare me :shock: I guess I'll just have to wait until Tuesday. The vet on the phone said they thought it could be just allergies but I don't know to what because nothing has changed. Unless I brought back a different type of pollen from FL? But would he start sneezing as fast as he did when I got home. He started about 10 minutes after I walked in the door.

Failbhe 08-08-2012 07:39 PM

I'm glad you're taking him to the vet, but honestly I think he'll be ok - if he doesn't have a runny nose and he's not lethargic, then I don't think it will be anything serious. Especially if he's UTD on everything. Keep us posted, though! :)

Phantomcolt18 08-14-2012 09:53 PM

Took Soxy to the vet today. He had stopped sneezing on Saturday but I brought him in anyway. They said he is very healthy and it was most likely a bad bit of allergies. They said if it acts up to give him children's benedryl 1mg per pound of his weight.

tempest 08-14-2012 10:09 PM

One of my cats couldn't stop sneezing. We found out that he was allergic to the light colored oils for the airwick scented oil fans. It may not have been the light color themselves but he only sneezed constantly when the light colored ones were in. We didn't think anything of the scented oils as a irritant until we switched the scented liquid to a darker color and he stopped sneezing.

It may be something just as small a change as that.

Failbhe 08-14-2012 10:20 PM

I'm glad he's ok :)