The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Determining Muscle Aches (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/determining-muscle-aches-133977/)

Deschutes 08-08-2012 07:35 PM

Determining Muscle Aches

Recently, one of the festival's horses got in a fight with this mare who likes to instigate things from across the fence. From what I know, he got a bit cut up and there may be some muscle tenderness if she has kicked him. I know the mare likes to buck and kick others when she acts stupid, so I'm wondering.

My question is, how do you determine if a horse has muscle soreness? what would the proper means of aiding it to heal be?
We have some linament oil which, acts like icy hot for our horses, but I was wondering if there were any other techniques that could be used? Are massages a valid use? Also, would walking him on a lead line help for his stiffness, if he has any?

JoesMom 08-08-2012 08:26 PM

If he got whipped on enough to get cut he is sore. Give him some Bute and rest. If he is acting sore in certain areas then liniment won't hurt. I would think a massage may not be so great just yet. Yes, light exercise will loosen him up and stretch things out a bit as long as it doesn't interfere with any cuts that need time to start to heal.

Deschutes 08-08-2012 08:47 PM

Thank you. Should I walk him in the arena, or would walking him on normal terrain that has some hills and such, be alright? I plan on taking him out this weekend when I can go see him and make sure everything's alright.

Edit:
One question, though: What is bute?

JoesMom 08-08-2012 10:21 PM

Phenylbutazone is an anti-inflammatory given to horses. You have to get it from the vet. Light walking anywhere would likely not hurt him if he is not limping or obviously in pain somewhere.