The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Possible boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/possible-boarding-13401/)

Moxie 08-15-2008 03:35 PM

Possible boarding

Today was a pretty eventful day for me informational wise. I went to a new tack/pet store where I learned of a boarding facility near my home. I knew it was there, but they never advertised, so didn’t really know much about it.

It turns out that this facility is reasonably priced for outside board at 180/mo for pasture board. They train in cross country, jumping and dressage. I talked to the owner today, and she confirmed to me that they have space available, and she really wanted to meet me!! She is away at a show this weekend, but will be back on Monday, so, after my lesson Monday evening; I am going over to the stable to have a look.

So we all know what this means…………………………….

HORSE SHOPPING!!!!!

Yes, it’s true, we were going to wait a year to buy a horse, but this boarding place seems to be too good to be true (thus far), and I simply can’t wait another minute. My plan is to buy a horse that is suitable for me, board, get our place up and running which we were going to do within a year, but now we wouldn’t be as rushed to get it done.

Okay, I just had to let it all out. Anyone have any advice, things to look for at the new boarding stable?

Salty_alydaR 08-15-2008 06:04 PM

so, can we start horse shopping for you now??? :D

meggymoo 08-15-2008 06:11 PM

Thats fantastic news Moxie. I bet you're so excited!

Only thing I recommend is having a good look around, make sure the place is clean, tidy and all the horses look happy and content. Have a chat with some of the other boarders, get a feel for the place. You'll know if its right for you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :wink:

Moxie 08-15-2008 06:48 PM

Oh, did I mention that there are mostly older boarders out there? The owner said that there were a few high school kids, but the majority of the riders are adults, so thats pretty cool! I wouldn't feel so out of place.

Salty! lol I need to go out and check out the place first, but I am KINDA shopping around now.

iridehorses 08-15-2008 08:24 PM

That's a big step for you! I sure hope it is all you hope. You once said that the horse you currently ride was possibly being sold or was for sale. Any chance there?

PoptartShop 08-15-2008 09:00 PM

That is awesome to hear, Moxie! :D How exciting. I hope everything works out for you. :)

o0hawaiigirl0o 08-15-2008 10:51 PM

Wow, it sounds like a nice place already! :)
Here's what i'd look for if I were checking out a barn: Well fed and clean horses, clean stalls with full waters, neat and tidy areas, and good fencing(since it seems that you're leaning towards outside board) with access to a water trough. I'd also watch a lesson or take a lesson there. I'd also see all the different places to ride, because I get bored riding in the same arena over and over again. I hope it works out!

Moxie 08-15-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses
That's a big step for you! I sure hope it is all you hope. You once said that the horse you currently ride was possibly being sold or was for sale. Any chance there?

He is still kind of a possibility, however he's been acting very strange lately, my trust in him is kind of waving a bit, I'm not prepared to spend that kind of money and not be completely happy.

I journaled allllllll about it! :D

I'm so excited, I'll have to make myself a check list of things to look for on monday!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice!

Jubilee Rose 08-15-2008 11:27 PM

Wow, what great news Moxie!! Hurray! Did you say you are going to build your own barn too, or did I totally misunderstand what you wrote....?

Moxie 08-15-2008 11:54 PM

Yep, the plan is to build our own barn, have our own pastures, round pens and all that good stuff on our own property. :D