The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Lame mare PLEASE HElP! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/lame-mare-please-help-134030/)

Amore 08-09-2012 07:47 AM

Lame mare PLEASE HElP!

Ok so I have 4yo warmblood mare who recently went into training with my coach for 2 weeks. At almoost the end of the 2 weeks my coach called me and said the my mare had gone lame in the right hind leg and that we should come pick her up. After 5mins of having her home she began galloping around her paddock showing no signs of any lameness. The next day I lunged and rode her and she was almost perfect. We had been planning for her to go to a small competition that weekend and after talking to my instructor we agreed that she would ok to compete in the compitition. She showed to signs of lameness that weekend. On tuesday we had our weekly lesson were she wasn't at all lame, she had wednesday of, then today (thursday) i rode her again we walked for 10mins and she was fine so I trotted and she was majorly lame! We hobbled back to the stables where she was holding her back left leg of the ground (different leg to the first time!). She also has swelling in her back left fetlock and a slight pulse, she is barefoot with very stong feet. Any options on what this could be would be hugely helpful or if anyone has experienced similar? :shock:

PaintHorseMares 08-09-2012 08:40 AM

The most common cause is a sprain. Cold hose/ice it for at least a couple days, limit her movement (e.g. a small paddock), and no work for at least a couple weeks. Tendons take a long time to fully heal, and re-injuries are common when brought back to work too quickly. If she is 3 legged lame, you can give bute for a few days.
Posted via Mobile Device

nikelodeon79 08-09-2012 10:27 AM

I would definitely get her checked out thoroughly by a veterinarian, but my gelding used to "fake" limping... we never could find anything physical wrong and he would be limping one minute, and completely fine the next.

Amore 08-10-2012 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 1637344)
The most common cause is a sprain. Cold hose/ice it for at least a couple days, limit her movement (e.g. a small paddock), and no work for at least a couple weeks. Tendons take a long time to fully heal, and re-injuries are common when brought back to work too quickly. If she is 3 legged lame, you can give bute for a few days.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thankyou! Fingers crossed it isn't a tendon

loosie 08-10-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikelodeon79 (Post 1637443)
but my gelding used to "fake" limping...

No he didn't. Only humans lie.

nikelodeon79 08-10-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 1638864)
No he didn't. Only humans lie.

I'm sorry... were you there watching? Did you consult with my veterinarian, my farrier, and my fellow horse friends who evaluated him?

Must've missed that. :lol:

And I think it was more like a "fib" he was telling. :D

loosie 08-10-2012 08:09 PM

Horses don't lie. I'm not saying you or your vet or anyone was. If he was limping, there was something physical wrong, regardless whether the cause was found or not.