The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Newbie (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/newbie-134041/)

HipHopHorseman 08-09-2012 09:30 AM

88 Attachment(s)
Im Paul... nice to meet everyone and that is Anna, the horse I lease. #Clydesdale of course

uflrh9y 08-09-2012 09:41 AM

Paul, I am sooooo jealous. I love love LOVE Clydesdales! She is gorgeous.

HipHopHorseman 08-09-2012 10:06 AM

88 Attachment(s)
I want to show her in Western Pleasure for the fun of it.. What tips can you all give.

Cacowgirl 08-09-2012 10:23 AM

Welcome Paul, what a lovely horse you get to ride.

JustDressageIt 08-09-2012 10:23 AM

Welcome!! You and Anna look fantastic!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jake and Dai 08-09-2012 10:36 AM

Welcome Paul! You and Anna look great! Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures together!

loveduffy 08-09-2012 10:38 AM

welcome Paul and Anna you look good on her:D

nikelodeon79 08-09-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopHorseman (Post 1637506)
I want to show her in Western Pleasure for the fun of it.. What tips can you all give.

I am by no means a "professional," (I did a bit of training and showed a few local shows, just for fun), but here are a few things that immediately jump out at me:

Your position in the saddle actually looks pretty good. I would work with Anna on learning how to go with a loose rein, in all of your gaits (walk, jog, and lope). My big QH always had trouble at the trot... he would take off running if I didn't gather the reins but with some persistence I was able to train him out of that habit.

I understand wanting to be comfortable while riding, but for longer sessions in the saddle, you may want to consider wearing pants (to prevent getting rubbed by the saddle on your bare legs) and I always recommend boots, for safety sake. The purpose of the heel is to keep the foot from sliding through the stirrup. If something happens and you fall, the last thing you want is to have your foot hung up in the stirrup. Alternatively, you could use covered stirrups but for showing you'll need boots and uncovered stirrups.

Most importantly, I always recommend a helmet.

Good luck, and have fun!

GreySorrel 08-09-2012 05:36 PM

You need to drop your stirrups a few holes, your bracing yourself in the stirrups, your heels need to be in some and down if you intend to do anything western or western pleasure. And I bet your saddle is a bit too snug for you too...get a bigger one that fits you and the draft that your on.

DarenC1 08-11-2012 03:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't add much more to the discussion, but Anna looks lovely!

I'm a Clydesdale man myself - have ridden 20 different Clyde/Clyde-crosses in 6 years - and in fact I'll be off out shortly on Prince!