The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Barrel Horses with Club Foot (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/barrel-horses-club-foot-134060/)

sarbare 08-09-2012 01:04 PM

Barrel Horses with Club Foot

What are everyone's suggestions/thoughts for a prospective barrel horse with a club foot? The degree of the club foot is not severe, but is slightly noticeable. I have read horror stories, as well as good stories about horses with a club foot going on to be very successful. I am afraid it is already affecting him, as he does not easily pick up his right lead. The club foot is his right front.
Does anyone have any experience in this, or have any ideas? I know trimming the heel down regularly is the first thing you can do, but anything besides that?

CLaPorte432 08-09-2012 01:07 PM

The mare I just purchased for barrels has a "slight" club foot. I personally cannot tell she has it. But more experienced eyes can.

It all depends on the severity of it. I talked with my vet and farrier before purchasing the mare. Both said there wasn't any reason why she can't do what I want (which is to run NBHA on her)

The only thing my farrier said is if she starts to wear that foot down with her training and running, we'll put shoes on her. Well, she had shoes put on anyway because of a big chip that happened a little over a month ago. Oh well...

ClaudiaD 08-09-2012 01:15 PM

My horse has a clubbed foot and I decided to get shoes on him and it seemed to help. He to has his clubbed foot on the right and he didn't like taking the right lead at first. With his shoes and and some training he takes his right lead about 90% of the time. Which was a lot better than a couple of months ago before I got him shod and if would take me forever to get him on the right lead. I hope this helps. Good luck.

goneriding 08-09-2012 02:07 PM

Over time the non club foot will get lower in the heel due to the uneven feet. A club foot does not just affect the foot itself.

loosie 08-09-2012 10:39 PM

Take a look at the other 'club foot' threads. Without more info can't tell you anything specific, but NO you DON'T want to go lowering the heel of the club foot, at least without a lot more info on what's going on, IMO including a bodyworker. It is not usually a foot problem that causes it, but can be due to shortened tendons, injury, 'left handedness'(IOW grazing stance), etc. Likewise you don't want to encourage the opposite foot to match the high heel.

sarbare 08-09-2012 11:00 PM

Thank you for your input. I know it is not just a hoof issue; it is a deformity of the coffin joint. However I need some clarification on things--- what is bodywork? Who can provide this service? Also, what do IMO and IOW stand for?

QUOTE=loosie;1638605]Take a look at the other 'club foot' threads. Without more info can't tell you anything specific, but NO you DON'T want to go lowering the heel of the club foot, at least without a lot more info on what's going on, IMO including a bodyworker. It is not usually a foot problem that causes it, but can be due to shortened tendons, injury, 'left handedness'(IOW grazing stance), etc. Likewise you don't want to encourage the opposite foot to match the high heel.[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 08-10-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarbare (Post 1638637)
Thank you for your input. I know it is not just a hoof issue; it is a deformity of the coffin joint. However I need some clarification on things--- what is bodywork? Who can provide this service? Also, what do IMO and IOW stand for?

I'd call a deformity of the coffin joint a hoof issue actually. What sort of joint deformity has the horse got? 'Bodywork' is chiropractic, physio, etc.

Sorry about taking internet shorthand for granted(there was a list somewhere explaining it all... lol... laughing out loud)... IMO is in my opinion & IOW is in other words :wink:

Army wife 08-10-2012 12:29 AM

Write a member here named LKC. She's my best friend. Her mare Maxi has a slight club foot and is a barrel racing machine!!!! Low heel and shoes (I believe) and she's just fine. She's in her 20's and is just now being retired. Her club foot never seemed to slow her down a bit. She's a consistent 15 sec barrel horse. LKC would have a lot more info to give you on her own horse of course ;)

sarbare 08-10-2012 09:35 AM

well I am not sure what you are defining a club foot as, but from what I have learned and researched this is what I have found: "Club foot is defined by the UC Davis Book of Horses as 'a flexural deformity of the coffin joint resulting in a raised heel'" & "The foot will initially exhibit a bulge at the coronary band, and the heels will have a contracted appearance to them."--this is from the Horse.com

this is what my horse has--a bulge at the coronary band and the hoof has a more upright angle to it. therefore, from what I understand club foot is caused from within.

what is your definition of club foot?

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 1638760)
I'd call a deformity of the coffin joint a hoof issue actually. What sort of joint deformity has the horse got? 'Bodywork' is chiropractic, physio, etc.

Sorry about taking internet shorthand for granted(there was a list somewhere explaining it all... lol... laughing out loud)... IMO is in my opinion & IOW is in other words :wink:

loosie 08-10-2012 07:32 PM

Can be for a range of reasons. Flexural deformities - so called contracted tendons - are indeed a common one. I hadn't actually thought of this as deformity of the coffin joint. This sort of thing can be a congenital problem & it can also happen later, due to injury, DOD etc. Clubbed hooves can also come about later in life due to weak/injured heels, injury to the foot, leg, body, can also come about purely due to the horse's preference to graze with a particular leg forward & other one(that becomes clubbed) back. Depends on the cause & age of the horse as to whether or not it can/should be 'treated' & what type of treatment.