The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Half pads? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/half-pads-134108/)

RhinestoneCowgirl03 08-09-2012 09:36 PM

Half pads?

Do you use a half pad on your horse? If so, what kind? I was thinking of getting a thinline for some extra protection, but I don't know if it's worth spending the money. I haven't used one in years since I rode an older horse and his owners had a fleece half pad for him. I've ridden mostly western since then, so never thought about it. Any english I did was only a couple times on other peoples' saddles and horses.

xJumperx 08-09-2012 10:12 PM

Hm. I think it depends on your saddle fit. If your saddle fits great, then I would go for the thinline. They do have some nice pads, and I really believe they do help absorb shock. I've watched a horse go from okay to nice with a thinline, along with a better rider... But he did have a funny back, and I really think the pad helped.

Now, if your saddle doesn't fit too well, I'd say no, get something thicker. I would say get one of their thick pads, but those get really expensive. I would just find a good quality thick sheepskin.

Canterklutz 08-10-2012 02:49 AM

Some horses like the feel of the fleece pads but honestly if your saddle doesn't fit well then a half pad isn't a solution for a poor fit. Find a better fitting saddle. Sometimes a half pad can help with an ok fit but it's not the panacea to saddle fitting problems as a lot of people tend to think.

RhinestoneCowgirl03 08-10-2012 01:21 PM

Nope. No fit problems, I was just thinking about extra protection.:think:

Mckellar 08-10-2012 02:30 PM

Just wanted to add, most horses don't need half pads if the saddle fits it just makes it look nice , if your saddle fits the horse propery then a half pad can actually do more harm than good since it changes the pressure points. Unless you need one I wouldn't get one. The thinline ones re great though, if you find a used one you will save tons. People resell half pads for $20
Posted via Mobile Device

equiniphile 08-10-2012 02:48 PM

I bought a sheepskin half pad at the Equine Affaire this spring for around $80 and I love it. My saddle fits fine, but I do like the look of it, so I use it for clinics, events, lessons, etc.