The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   What do you carry on the trail? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/what-do-you-carry-trail-134135/)

fly123 08-10-2012 01:04 AM

What do you carry on the trail?

What do you usually pack for trail rides? For shorter or for long rides(but not overnight rides).

SorrelHorse 08-10-2012 01:48 AM

My saddle bags are generally paked with the same things, but maybe in differant quantities, for short or long rides.

Water,
Gatorade,
Jerky & Licorice (Jerky is mine, licorice is for the horse)
Sandwiches (On rides where I plan on stopping for lunch, generally not short rides)
Bailing Twine (In case something needs to get tied back together)
Pocket knife,
Pistol (Generally not on short rides along the creek but always on longer rides)

On a seperate note I always ride my horses with a noseband under the bridle in case I need to tie up or lead them, but this way I don't need to bulk of the halter. Also an extra set of short reins or a leadrope in my bag if there's room, just in case.

usandpets 08-10-2012 04:49 AM

Short rides - hoof pick, multi use tool, something to drink (pop or water usually), cell phone, spare leather strips or twine, and lighter and cigarettes. I only use pommel bags for short trips.

Long trips - the same as the short trips, lead rope (have a rope halter under the bridle), and saddle bags with sandwiches and more beverages. I might have a wire cutter and a sharp knife too.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 08-10-2012 04:58 AM

Oh, I forgot about the cell phone. Definitely have one of those. :lol:

Every now and then I'll take some sort of pepper spray or noise maker (Airhorn), but both of those are pretty much irrelevent to me if I have my boomstick :lol: The gun makes noise and will deter most animals...Or (God forbid) my horse gets hurt and I have to put it down....

gunslinger 08-10-2012 07:32 AM

Map, Compass, Topo maps, GPS, Katadyn Hiker pro water filter, Halter and lead rope, headlamp and led flashlight, deep woods off, sun screen, water proof matches and waxed paper, rain coat.....just to name a few.

Saranda 08-10-2012 08:00 AM

A cell phone, some horse treats, water in hot weather, hand/feet warmers in cold weather, a knife, a hoof pick. I don't go on extremely long rides and I know the area and the terrain fairly well, so I don't really need anything else.

Iseul 08-10-2012 09:05 AM

I've only gone on ~4 hour trail rides, so I'm not sure if that's considered short or long..lol.
Anyway..I generally just carry a sharp knife, cell phone, cigarettes, lighter I don't mind losing, and a halter under my bridle.
Lately though, I've been carrying all the "must-haves" for my trail partners since my horse is the only reliable one and I'm the least likely to come off and lose my horse. This usually includes Benadryl, Epi-pen, small first aid kit, and a few small items which are carried in a horn-bag. When carrying the horn-bag, I usually toss a water or two in the other "pouch", even though I rarely drink it..lol
Posted via Mobile Device

phantomhorse13 08-10-2012 10:21 AM

I ride with the equivalent of everything but the kitchen sink, after my mare severed an artery on trail during a ride a few years ago. I know the chances of that ever happening again are small, but they were pretty small for it to have happened the first time!

In my saddle bags at all times:
easy boot, 2 rolls of vet wrap, 1 roll of elastikon, 2 diapers, wad of roll cotton, bandana, pair of mosquito hemostats, pair of nitrile gloves, twine, duct tape, multi-use tool, people drugs (tylenol, advil, etc), chapstick, rain poncho, camera, cell phone, granola bars, 2 water bottles, and heartrate monitor.

Horsnaround64 08-11-2012 10:26 AM

Cell phone. Water,camera, halter under the bridle. Toilet paper extra rope

walkinthewalk 08-14-2012 09:44 AM

Hoof pick
Halter/lead rope (I don't like halter/bridle combos:-|

Small can of Deep Woods OFF! for the horse and myself.

Cell phone, which was non-existant In The Old Days.

Enough water that my horse has a bottle in case I can't find clean water for him. I love him to pieces but, I'm not drinking after him:-P

One hard salami sandwich/muenster cheese on rye bread.

Spare reins (made from binder twine) with quick release snaps. I don't cry about giving them away if someone else has a rein emergency:-)

A few dollars just in case I come out on a road with a general store.

Pistol if I am by myself.

I count myself very lucky that, in more than 50 years of trail riding I have never needed any first aid for the horse or myself while out on the trail. We've done some pretty rough riding. I know there have been some scrapes and bruises but nothing stands out in my memory as life-threatening that I should have been carrying wraps and meds.