The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Would you buy.... (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/would-you-buy-134138/)

RhinestoneCowgirl03 08-10-2012 03:54 AM

Would you buy....

a horse that started jumping at 4? He's only been jumped lightly over small fences, but still I would never dream of starting a horse jumping before they were 5 or 6. He's still a REALLY nice horse and a great price. I'm just wondering if him being started jumping so soon could lead to soundness issues later on? Help!

OH, also I've looked for hundreds of miles surrounding my area and it is extremly difficult to have horses in my budget that know how to jump (most ride western). My main focus is barrel racing but I also want to re-learn to jump (it's been years and I never got past very small x rails and verticals). Last time I tried popping over a fence on a horse who had never jumped, I had a bad fall and my leg was scarred/discolored for over a year. So I want one that can help me learn.

BarrelracingArabian 08-10-2012 04:05 AM

I personally would not without doing extensive xrays of legs, back, hips, shoulders etc. A very very thorough vet check which could throw you another 2000 depending on the vet. My trainer bought a 4 yr old futurity barrel mare and had her fully xrayed before buying her and im talking every possible check that vet could perform was done, cost her an extra 2500.
Posted via Mobile Device

RhinestoneCowgirl03 08-10-2012 04:32 AM

Wow. That is definately waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy more than I can afford for a vet check!

BarrelracingArabian 08-10-2012 04:37 AM

Yeah i just personally wouldnt trust it but thats me i will be very picky when i buy my next horse i have watched my trainer struggle the past year with finding sound 4-6 yr olds many failed the vet check her current two are a pally(4) and a black(5) mare and she had thorough xrays done on both, both are futurity prospects started earlier but only 2 out of the 80 or more she looked at over this year to pass the vet check.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 08-10-2012 08:21 AM

893 Attachment(s)
If i were you, since your new to jumping, i wouldnt be looking at a young horse with minimal jumping experience. You want a older horse that knows what hes doing so he can teach you to jump.

Its much easier to learn on a horse that knows what hes doing, as opposed to trying to learn on something your trying to teach.
Posted via Mobile Device

RhinestoneCowgirl03 08-10-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1638953)
If i were you, since your new to jumping, i wouldnt be looking at a young horse with minimal jumping experience. You want a older horse that knows what hes doing so he can teach you to jump.

Its much easier to learn on a horse that knows what hes doing, as opposed to trying to learn on something your trying to teach.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree. But he is one of 2 horses I've found within 600 miles of where I live who has any experience jumping. And the other one doesn't trail ride, and that's a big problem. There aren't even many shows around here, and I'm just looking to jump a little for fun at home (and yes, I will have a trainer, but none of them have lesson horses or are booked, so don't have one now).

Dreamcatcher Arabians 08-10-2012 01:32 PM

It would depend on his price. If he's low enough that he could be resold for most of what you pay, as a trail horse, then I might chance it. If he's high enough that you couldn't afford to replace him without selling him high, I would pass.

Starting jumping at 4 would not bother me, he's probably only been started over cavaletti and 18" - 2 ft. obstacles, and probably not many of those. To me, that's just training fences, if he were JUMPING say over 1.5 meters, that's another story.

Corporal 08-10-2012 02:01 PM

Look, if you LIKE the horse, and your Vet's vet check shows he's sound, buy him and enjoy him. You could stop jumping him until his bones are set next year, and, maybe, have a instructor work you and this horse over small fences in a few years.

heymckate 08-12-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1639217)
It would depend on his price. If he's low enough that he could be resold for most of what you pay, as a trail horse, then I might chance it. If he's high enough that you couldn't afford to replace him without selling him high, I would pass.

Starting jumping at 4 would not bother me, he's probably only been started over cavaletti and 18" - 2 ft. obstacles, and probably not many of those. To me, that's just training fences, if he were JUMPING say over 1.5 meters, that's another story.

I agree with this completely. As long as he was jumped lightly like you said and over low fences, it wouldn't bother me at all.