The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Two Eyed Jack Offspring (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/two-eyed-jack-offspring-134204/)

WickedNag 08-10-2012 04:39 PM

Two Eyed Jack Offspring

So in reading a thread where TEJ is in the bloodlines I am finding comments to their demeanor. Fill me in :) My ex owned two of them while we were married and they were both nice horses but his gray was phenomenal!

What does the grapevine say and why do they have a reputation?

COWCHICK77 08-10-2012 05:17 PM

I have ridden some TEJ horses and our horse Zorro is TEJ bred from what my husband remembers.(we don't have his papers) He remembers when the rodeo company bought him for a pickup horse. They sold him to my husband because he was bucking everyone off and my husband got along with him quite well. He still bucks, but not like he used to.

The ones I rode could be ill tempered and nervous. I found they are one person horses. Zorro is my husbands horse and you can tell. I can't stand to ride him, I pony him for his exercise.
Posted via Mobile Device

WickedNag 08-10-2012 05:29 PM

Ahh that would explain the other I saw that was gorgeous but was known to buck. I didn't realize TEJ's were known for that so the two we had were an exception :)

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 08-10-2012 06:26 PM

My step mom used to have a two eyed jack girl in her pedigree she was amazing... She was a barrel racer but ended up with navicular by the time my step mom had gotten her. When I was a young girl I used to go into her stall and groom her for hours everyday since she was stall bound by navicular. Despite years off of work she maintained her muscle mass though.

her registered name was miss two shoes when she raced her gait was super short and choppy and she threw dirt clods everywhere... She only knew two speeds stop and go, no walk in her not even on the ground even after navicular set in which forced her into a shelter with run for the majority of the rest of her life

reining girl 08-10-2012 07:53 PM

I personally have not had any experience with one, but from what i have heard im not sure that i want to. Major buckers that could get down right nasty. A very close friend of mine had one years and years ago (was sired by two eyed jack) that once he bucked you off, he would come after you.

But from other people i have heard how wonderful they are. So just like any bloodline there are going to be lovers and haters. But this bloodline seems to have alot of haters.

smrobs 08-10-2012 08:29 PM

I, personally, really like the line. My Dad rode a lot of them while he was riding for Billy Allen back in the 70's and we used to own 2 of them. Watch Old Joe ended up being a perfect kid horse...if a bit on the lazy side. Watch Ol' Man ended up being sold to someone as a breeding stud. I can remember riding him when I was really young, like 7 or 8 to show him off in his sale video. He was one of those all around horses that did reining and team roping and western pleasure.

I don't recall that Dad ever said any he rode had nasty temperaments. I know the 2 we had, neither had a mean bone in their body.

DrumRunner 08-10-2012 08:43 PM

Sierra has a TEJ mare..

PENNEY the horse

I actually knew Penney before Sierra ever bought her from my ex-stepmom a few years ago and I had ridden her a few times. Penney is pretty marish but she's not one to give you trouble. She's a good horse, Sierra does trails and running events with her.. She will try her rider, or be lazy about picking things up and if you push her she'll get pissy but if you stay after her she'll do what you want. She's also a pretty big horse..

All in all I like TEJ horses.. I've been around a few others besides Penney and haven't ever had any real problems with them.

fly123 08-10-2012 09:25 PM

I've been a round a few. They usually are pretty good horses but do tend to bond with one person more and the ones I knew did buck but not rodeo buck and were slightly nervous horses. As far as I could tell they made decent intermediate riding horses.

COWCHICK77 08-10-2012 09:48 PM

I had learned the hard way that they seem to be one person horses.
A small purebred registered ranch that I had worked for in OR provided some ranch horses. One in my string was a big black TEJ horse. I got along with him just fine, so if I invited someone out It is customary to give them the gentlest horse out of your syring. In my mind it was the black horse. That horse managed to face plant, lawn dart and road rash everyone I put on him. Pretty soon it came to be the punishment as who had to ride him if someone came to help.

I put a friend on him on shipping day that was 6'6", he had hell with him. So since we hd to get trucks loaded we didn't saddles when we swapped horses because we needed trucks loaded and gone before the storm came. I could ride him with no stirrups sorting calves off as we loaded, no problem. ( his stirrups wouldn't fit me if ran up, and I wanted to prove a point..haha)

Same thing with Zorro, we works great for my husband. Me, I can't get nothing out of him. We fight each other and he will cheat me something horrible roping. I can barely catch him, but if the husband walks out there he will walk up and put his head in the halter...grrrr....lol...

TheAQHAGirl 08-10-2012 11:59 PM

My horse has Two Eyed Jack in her, hes her great great great grandfather.

If I'm correct he was a halter horse, right?