The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Cutback Saddle vs. Hunt seat (

lifelongequestrian 08-10-2012 08:46 PM

Cutback Saddle vs. Hunt seat
Quick problem...I'm trying to lease a horse. There's a horse available at a very reputable stable that I've seen multiple times, and the price/timing is right. The horse rides in a hunt seat saddle, but the saddle is at the owner's house...there's a cutback saddle at the stable itself. The lady offered to get the hunt seat, but I don't want to be a bother--are cutback saddles similar enough to hunt seat that I could do a basic w/t/c in one? Considering the horse is used to hunter jumper instruction? I know what each one looks like, but how are they different?

SEAmom 08-11-2012 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well, they're both english type saddles. That is pretty much where it ends. You could do the basic gaits, but if you haven't ridden in a cutback before, I'd suggest having her grab the hunt seat saddle. I can go into more detail if you want, but that's the general gist.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 08-11-2012 08:48 PM

A cutback actually refers to the shape of the pommel. They work well with high withered horses. The word cutback is often used when referring to the flatter saddle used on the American Saddlebred. You need to be sure of the difference,

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome