The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   shoe or no shoes? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/shoe-no-shoes-13431/)

ToY.. 08-16-2008 09:48 AM

shoe or no shoes?

hay everybody

my horsies isn't wearing shoes at the moment and my instructor hasn't said anything about putting shoes on.. But her hooves are real healthy...

plzz tell me what to do so i can ask my instructor!

thanks so much peace out

Peggysue 08-16-2008 10:01 AM

If she is barefoot and doing fine leave her barefoot

some horses need them to perform soundly some don't

DGW1949 08-16-2008 10:04 AM

I've had horses off and on for 35 years.
At one time, we had 5.
I currently own 2.
I've never shoed a horse in my life.
I've seen other people who had horses which had hoof-damage from wearing shoes.

In my mind, there's only 3 reasons to shoe a horse....
Traction.
Protection.
Correction.
Any of those 3 have very limited applications and none should be done except with the advice of a highly-sklled farrier.

In other words..... If it aint broke, don't fix it.

DGW

Spyder 08-16-2008 10:05 AM

Unless you are riding on very hard or difficult ground, doing serious competition especially jumping you are probably fine as you are.

PaintHorseMares 08-16-2008 10:25 AM

Our mares have always been barefoot, have great feet, will go anywhere, and are never sore. "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" :-)

PoptartShop 08-16-2008 12:00 PM

I've always had my horse barefoot. :) But it depends on the horse- some do better with shoes.

SonnyWimps 08-16-2008 03:09 PM

my horse is barefoot and will be barefoot his whole life unless he absoluely needs it.
Barefoot hooves get better traction and it's healthier for them.

Sonny can walk, trot, canter on gravel, pavement and what not with no problems whatso ever...and he's barefoot.

The vet said that he'd "need" shoes cause he had a sensitive sole (she didn't say might need...she said need) and the previous owners kept shoes on him in the summer....but he doesn't need them and don't think he ever will. He hasn't been lame since I got him (and they said he's never been lame either) and has a healthy foot.

If your horse is fine barefoot, keep him barefoot.

Besides...barefoot is cheaper ;) lol

PoptartShop 08-16-2008 04:23 PM

^Very true, it is less expensive. :)

minihorse927 08-16-2008 07:33 PM

All of my horses are barefoot, but it is also hard to find shoes to fit a minis feet, even though I have seen them used before. It is also illegal to show a mini that has shoes or nail holes in the hoof.

As far as my trail horse (mustang) goes, we only have shoes on her if we take her to shawnee state forest down here due to the extremely rocky ground because she does get better traction with a good set of shoes rather than barefoor. I tried it once without shoes, and will NEVER do it again. I thought at one point and time I was gonna go for a swim with her at some points when we were by a pond due to the rocky ground moving and sliding under her feet. If we are not taking her anywhere and just riding her around here, I leave her barefoot and I have never had a problem with her feet or traction around here.

Appyt 08-16-2008 08:19 PM

ToY, If your horse gets along fine barefoot and has great hooves, why would you even think you may need to shoe her? Just keep her trimmed up nicely so her hooves stay balanced and all should be fine. I wouldn't even ask the instructor about it. I'd assume my horse is my horse and will remain barefoot. ;)