The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Moving 2400 miles with a horse. How many hours in a day can he deal with? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/moving-2400-miles-horse-how-many-134325/)

Ambrose 08-11-2012 05:54 PM

Moving 2400 miles with a horse. How many hours in a day can he deal with?

Were living on the East coast and moving back west this coming spring.
Were bringing our horse and wondering the best way to....

Move him
how many hours a day is healthy for him to be in a trailer
places to stay at
any tips or advice.

Thanks!:D

Dreamcatcher Arabians 08-11-2012 07:01 PM

You can look up Horse Hotels and Horse Motels on the internet, there are many. When I plan a long trip, I look for them and plan my day's travel accordingly. My personal max amount of time that I want to be in a truck is around 8-10 hrs, including all the stops, so around 400-450 miles/day. If I route my trip that way, I can look at a map and find towns/cities close to that distance on my route and then start looking for accomodations. Some will also have accomodations for people, but not always. When I've not been able to find a horse hotel along my route, then the horse or horses can spend the night in the trailer, you just need to make sure to feed them down on the floor and unhook their heads so they can drop them down. I try to only overnight in a trailer if I'm hauling 1 horse, that way he has the whole 3 horse trailer to move around in. I try to make sure they have at least 8-10 hrs not moving every day.

Joe4d 08-11-2012 08:28 PM

also take a look at the weather and timing around metro areas on the days you plan on hauling. It can get dangerously hot inside a non moving horse trailer. Think about rush hour and construction traffic jams.

Palomine 08-11-2012 10:31 PM

Horse Motels International. Worldwide horse motel directory for the traveling equestrian. We find horse motels, horse hotels, overnight stabling, overnight boarding, horse hostels, ranches, bed and breakfasts, and hurricane shelter.

Horsetrip.com-An Online Overnight Stabling Directory for Horse Stabling and Horse Motels

Horse Motels, Equine Bed and Breakfast, Over-Night Horse Boarding, Boarding Stables, Facilities for Horse Travelers

Traveling Horse Transport & Stables Directory

I'd honestly break it up into 4/5 days, if it were me. I pulled my 2 1000 miles, and stayed 2 nights on the way.

The links will give you some ideas of places to check out.

But I would not keep horses in trailer more than 10 hours, including fuel/food stops. 12 is pushing it.

Just too hard on them otherwise.

spurstop 08-11-2012 10:43 PM

I would say probably 10 hours.

When you are looking for places to stop overnight, make sure you factor in gas and bathroom breaks into your time on the road.