The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Retraining Program (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/retraining-program-13434/)

Vicizmax 08-16-2008 11:31 AM

Retraining Program

Here's a program which I use to retrain horses ;)
My very good vet gave it to me when I had to retrain my pony.

You use this when your horse hasn't been ridden for a while.
Especially if your horse has been out grassing for the summer.

If your horse has had an injury, then please ask your vet!
This program may be too much for the horse if it's had e.g. a big leg injury. You can also ask me about it!

But say your horse hasn't been ridden propperly for about 2-6 months, then this is the program for you!

It will take 33 days.
Its best to ride on the same ground all the time since your horse is not used to the bedding on all the arenas. So ride inside the ridding house!
When you're done with the program, you can ride on the outside arena or other places, but start of slow, just walk there for some time then next day trot a bit, next day trot some more so your horse gets used to the bedding and doesnt ruin its feet just because they're not used to it.

Day 1, 2 & 3
Walk for 30 minutes a day. Sitting on the horse.

Day 4, 5 & 6
Walk for 45 minutes a day.

Day 7, 8 & 9
Walk for 1 hour a day.

Day 10, 11 & 12
Now, you'll be ridding for 1 hour in all.
You will warm up your horse in walk for 10 minutes and walk off for 10 minutes. (You will do that for the rest of the program)
So that leaves you with 40 minutes where your horse is working.

Trot for 1 minute.
Walk for 7 minutes.
^You will repeat that for 40 minutes. You can also do circles, so 1 circle of trotting and 8 circles of walking. Remember to change direction so that you will ride on both sides equally.^

In the end you will be trotting for 5 minutes in all, and walking for 35 minutes and walking 10 minutes before and after. In all, 1 hour.

Day 13, 14 & 15
Trot for 2 minutes.
Walk for 6 minutes.
In all: 10 minutes trot, 30 minutes walk, 10 + 10 minutes walking before and after.

Day 16, 17 & 18
Trot for 3 minutes.
Walk for 5 minutes.
In all: 15 minutes trot, 25 minutes walk, 10 + 10 minutes walking before and after.

Day 19, 20 & 21
Trot for 4 minutes.
Walk for 4 minutes.
In all: 20 minutes trot, 20 minutes walk, 10 + 10 minutes walking before and after.

Day 22, 23 & 24
Trot for 6 minutes.
Walk for 2 minutes.
In all: 30 minutes trot, 10 minutes walk, 10 + 10 minutes walking before and after.

Day 25, 26 & 27
Trot for 8 minutes.
Walk for 0 minutes.
In all: 40 minutes trot, 10 + 10 minutes walking before and after.
You will be trotting non-stop for 40 minutes! You can make short walking breaks once in a while if you wish, but not too much.

Day 28, 29 & 30
Trot for 8 minutes.
Gallop for 1 minute.
In all: 40 minutes trot, 5 minutes gallop, 10 + 10 minutes walking before and after.
Note that now you will be ridding for 1 hour and 5 minutes! (65 minutes) Instead of 1 hour. Again, you can make short breaks once in a while, but try to keep it going without too many ;)

Day 31, 32 & 33
Trot for 8 minutes.
Gallop for 2 minutes.
In all: 40 minutes trot, 10 minutes gallop, 10 + 10 minutes walking before and after.
Now you're ridding for 1 hour and 10 minutes. (70 minutes). Don't worry, your horse has been trained and is fit enough to go for 70 minuttes non-stop!

It would be a good idea to do the following:

Trot for 8 minutes.
Gallop for 2 minutes.
In all: 40 minutes trot, 10 minutes gallop, 10 + 10 minutes walking before and after.

..About 2-3 times a week! Your horse will be fit and it lessens ALOT the chance of your horse getting leg injuries since your horses feet will be fit and strong and used to the hard work.

You will get bored! I advice to get an ipod/mp3 and have some music playing while your ridding ;)
It will be tiring work, but the result will be worth it.

If your horse has been standing still for less than 2 months or more than 6 months, or has stood still because of injuries then just contact me and I'll give you an altered retraining program.

Zanesgirl 08-16-2008 11:28 PM

Great retraining program!

Do you have anything for getting a horse back into work after 2 years out? i've basically redone all his breaking in, and now its time to start the real riding.

He has had issue's with the splint bone on his near fore and hoof damage on his off hind. he was supposedly being trained up for endurance before i found him and had never worn shoes. i've got my farrier coming out to tack some shoes on him (he's going to hand make the shoes to help with his balance.

the reason i'd like to get this boy going is because i have a lovely home found for him (he's a rescue) and he's going to go in as a trail horse if i can get him going.

the vet said his old injuries should not bother him, and his feet will improve with correct shoeing.

Hope to hear from you soon

Vicizmax 08-17-2008 05:51 AM

You say he had the injuries 2 years ago, right?
And if they've healed and the vet says they shouldnt bother him, then you can do this program! If you start feeling that he gets too tired and its going too fast, then make it 4 days of each "step" instead of 3, although that shouldnt happen. (But remember it could also be because of boredom. Some horses get bored when they do the same thing everyday xD)

If you dont have time to ride him one day, then its ok, as long as you continue next day what you should have done the other day.