The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Buying a bridle, info/ input please! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/buying-bridle-info-input-please-134349/)

TheSkipper 08-11-2012 10:46 PM

Buying a bridle, info/ input please!

I am looking to buy a new bridle. I am looking to buy a butter soft bridle, but I really want a good deal, because Im on a budget and I dont want to hear any crap about how I messed up my dads girlfriends bridle, or something like that, and I dont want to end up bridleless. I am looking to buy a horse sized plain old brown bridle, maybe with a flash if it happens to come with one, but it doesnt matter. I was hoping you guys could tell me where would be a good place to buy the bridle, or what brands so I can do my research, but pictures dont let me feel how soft they are... so what do you guys think?

EDIT: IT HAS TO BE ENGLISH!

JustWingIt 08-12-2012 06:31 PM

Suffolk Fancy Snaffle Bridle | Dover Saddlery

I have this bridle for my gelding and I absolutely love it! I ordered it and it came out of the box perfectly soft and ready to use, no oiling or anything needed. It is super durable, I have been using it almost everyday since February and it still looks brand new! Besides being soft and durable, it is pretty nice looking, and not that expensive.

TheSkipper 08-12-2012 07:02 PM

Thanks for your feedback, but I forgot to say I'm not a fan of padding. But I am heading to dover saddlery this weekend, and Ill definetly check it out!

JustWingIt 08-15-2012 11:48 PM

No prob:) and have fun at Dover!!! I love dover!!
Just curious, why don't you like padding?
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 08-16-2012 08:12 AM

Suffolk as well as Crown (cheaper brands) are NOT butter-soft. They are good bridles for the money, but you get what you pay for: nice leather will be only on expensive bridles or if you are very lucky to come across the deal. If you want a nice bridle on budget you may look into used ones off tacktrader and similar places.

TheSkipper 08-16-2012 02:09 PM

thanks guys! i just bought a edgewood fancy stitched bridle on ebay for $83 :) like $200 off! :D just no reins :(

kitten_Val 08-19-2012 12:26 PM

Cool! Congrats on deal!

silvrhwk 08-20-2012 03:22 PM

YAY for eBay! I was just going to suggest that. I have purchased (read: "taken a chance") on 3 different over-sized and/or draft-sized black Dressage bridles for the draft cross I ride. All were different brands, but all were very nice, high quality, supple leather, and all were less than $40 each. (I bought three to make sure one would fit, and donated the others to the stable where I take lessons.)

If you search eBay dillgently and know exactly what you are looking for, you can find some very good deals. :)