The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Question to ask new Boarder. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/question-ask-new-boarder-13435/)

Moxie 08-16-2008 11:44 AM

Question to ask new Boarder.

So this is a stem off of my other thread that I have. As I have stated before, I am going to be checking out a new stable near my home. And if all goes well, then I can start horse shopping. I kind of know what to look for in a stable, clean, happy, healthy horses, but what are some of the other questions I should be asking?

I am going to make up a check list to take with me on Monday, and I would greatly appreciate any comments, advice that anyone could give me.

I also have to say that I LOVE this board. You guys have been so very supportive of me, and have given me limitless advice. I want to convey my sincerest gratitude to everyone here at HF.

Okay... So.. Questions?!

kickshaw 08-16-2008 12:35 PM

off of the top of my head, here's what i can think of:

-can i use my own farrier/vet, or do you have a "preferred" one?
-who is responsible for worming my horse (either you or the BO)
-what are the barn hours
-what are the barn rules
-do you stable overnight horses (can be riskier because traveling horses often are sicker than horses who stay in one place)
-how many boarders are here
-what kind of turnover rate do you have with boarders
-would someone here be able to help me with training/lessons on my horse
-how often are waterbuckets cleaned (and look at a few!)
-what kind of turnout will my horse have
-how long will my horse be turned out
-how many horses will my horse be out with
-are their trailering services available (in case of emergency)
-what type of feed will my horse be eating? what type of hay?
-how often are the horses fed?
-will you feed supplements? additional cost?
-are fans provided in the summer? additional cost?
-are blankets put on in the winter? additional cost?

i also take a look at how clean the barn is...i prefer barns that do not have aisle clutter...and where everything has its place. :)

hope these helped :D

Arrow 08-16-2008 02:24 PM

I'll just add a little something--not only were all the horses at a good weight at the place I choose, meaning that the BMs varied the feed according each horse's needs, but all the horses were quiet in their stalls if you walked into see them, or if you patted them from the aisle. None of the horses looked at me funny, or threw their heads up high and rolled their eyes. They'd go in and out of the stall doors quietly on a lead line. That means the BMs are patient and aren't smacking the horse's around for no reason. I'm planning to always look at that from now on when I'm looking for a place to board my horse.

brogan 08-16-2008 02:42 PM

things that i like to take into consideration to is what kind of disipline the barn mainly rides and if i would feel comfortable

i've noticed with past experience for me that i like low key back yard barns

personally from my experiences the horses are way more relaxed than those that are at a high traffic place-- and i tend to get along with the people better, because lets face it sometimes there are a few bad eggs aka snobs in this industry

Moxie 08-17-2008 12:23 PM

Thanks for all of the advice guys! I made up a check list to take with me tomorrow, and rating scale as well!

YAY!

iridehorses 08-17-2008 03:33 PM

Those are great questions. I'd like to add a couple,

Is there always someone on the premises in the event of a problem? (a horse that gets hurt, one that colics, an intruder, an animal, etc).

What action do they take if that happens?

Since you will be leaving your tack, have there been any problems with theft or others "borrowing" your equipment?

Moxie 08-17-2008 05:19 PM

Awesome! I added those questions! Keep em comin!

Moxie 08-18-2008 03:40 PM

Alright, I am going to stop at the new stable after my lesson tonight. I'm excited to see what this barn is all about!!!!!

:D

Kirsti Arndt 08-18-2008 04:56 PM

i htink Kickshaw got them all!!!!! love your siggy Moxie

Horserider 08-18-2008 06:59 PM

I'll just make a list. Sorry if any (or all) of these have already been said.

- What would they do if your horse became seriously injured and might have to be put down and they couldn't contact you?
- Could they give your horse daily meds/treatment if he became injured or sick?
- Do you need to provide your own hay/bedding?
- Do they have a vet/farrier or do you have to provide your own?
- Do they have rules regarding the times you can come out if they have lessons?
- Can they add supplements to feed if your horse requires them?
- Do they bring horses inside in case of bad weather? (if your horse is turned out)
- Can they stable your horse if it becomes injured?
- What services do they offer? For example do they feed, clean stalls, water, groom, exercise, turn out, bring in?
- If they don't turn out for example and you were unable to get to the barn to turn your horse out could they do it for you?
- What are the barn rules?
- Could they provide alternative turnout if your horse did not get along with one of the other horses?
- Do they have tack lockers with locks?
- Do they have trails for riding?
- Do they have an indoor arena for winter?
- Do they have space for lunging your horse?
- Can they accomodate what you want to do? (i.e. jumps if you want to jump, an area to practice dressage, trail obstacles, etc)
- If your horse was to colic would there be someone there to walk her until you arrived?
- What do they require for a horse to be brought to the stable?