The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   I'm not used to North American trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/im-not-used-north-american-trailers-134361/)

Shropshirerosie 08-12-2012 12:05 AM

I'm not used to North American trailers

Jumper Prospect

This link should take you to a trailer for sale, fairly basic rough but ready. I'm not used to seeing a floor that appears to be made of wood boards with sunlight showing through.... Is that normal or should I steer well clear?

Thank you oh helpful-ones :D

Hoofprints in the Sand 08-12-2012 12:22 AM

It took me to a horse for sale...
Posted via Mobile Device

Hoofprints in the Sand 08-12-2012 12:24 AM

So without seeing the pic you're referring to it's hard to say but my trailer and most I know have treated wood floors, but with rubber mats over them so that you can't see the road underneath ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

cowgirl4753 08-12-2012 12:39 AM

Our trailers have all had wood floors, we just chose to put rubber over them as well. If you are looking at a trailer with wood flooring always check that the wood is in good shape, and not rotted or anything. Definitely make sure to check under rubber mats as they can trap moisture. As for spaces and seeing the road, a thin line is ok but if any spaces are larger than others or pieces of boards are missing I would steer clear. Wood flooring will also need to be replaced eventually. Time frame will depend on the trailer use and were you live. Up here in Alberta we do ours around every 5 years.
Hope this helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

Shropshirerosie 08-12-2012 12:43 AM

Sorry, my fault for copying the wrong link. But, thank you for the local wisdom. I feel like a beginner again!

calicokatt 08-12-2012 12:52 AM

If you have a climate with a wet winter and a hot, dry summer, you are going to see space between the boards in the summer. You have to allow enough space between the boards for expansion and contraction based on moisture content. If you don't, when the boards swell from moisture, they'll warp and cause an uneven surface. When we floor a trailer, or build a deck, we use a pencil between the boards as spacing, so that spacing is consistent. If its very wet, and your lumber is very wet, a smaller spacer would be appropriate, but we usually do this in the summer, and a pencil works well.

Darrin 08-12-2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calicokatt (Post 1641516)
If you have a climate with a wet winter and a hot, dry summer, you are going to see space between the boards in the summer. You have to allow enough space between the boards for expansion and contraction based on moisture content. If you don't, when the boards swell from moisture, they'll warp and cause an uneven surface. When we floor a trailer, or build a deck, we use a pencil between the boards as spacing, so that spacing is consistent. If its very wet, and your lumber is very wet, a smaller spacer would be appropriate, but we usually do this in the summer, and a pencil works well.

This plus the gaps will allow horse pee and any other moisture to run out. This will increase the life of your flooring.

Hoofprints in the Sand 08-12-2012 09:24 AM

^^also why I put shavings over the rubber mats to soak up the pee, and every spring I remove the mats completely to hose down everything inside and inspect the wood as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mason72 08-12-2012 01:44 PM

most important thing is the steele on the bottom. check to make sure it is not rotting at the welds. if surface rust usually not a big issue. but if the steele is rotting just move on.

wood is cheap to replace just time consuming. steele can be expensive to replace.

Saddlebag 08-13-2012 07:49 AM

A mechanic friend advised me to roll the mats up when the trailer isn't in use. This allows the floor to dry. The greatest area of concern is where the wood sits on the frame. Since I don't have a roofed in building to house a trailer, it is parked on old sheets of plywood to keep the grass from growing up and touching the frame. Tall grass blocks the breezes and I want them to go thro underneath.