The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Punishment for Leaving Good Judgement at the Barn! (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/punishment-leaving-good-judgement-barn-134431/)

Walkamile 08-12-2012 09:05 PM

Punishment for Leaving Good Judgement at the Barn!

I hesitate to write this, not wanting to show the world (or at least my HF friends) that , yes, I am not perfect. :-P

However, this is just too good not to share.

Two weeks ago, this Wednesday, two good friends and I went out on one of my trails to evaluate what work may need to be done. I took Walka and all was going well.....that is until we got to what should have been the stream.

Where the stream once was, was now a beaver pond with dam as well as a hut. Now while I knew the bottom of the now stream turned beaver pond was gravel, I didn't know what was on top of the gravel bottom. The water was black!

So, what did I do. Turn around like a sane person would. Of course not! I chose to put Walka into the "pond" and try and cross it. He ,like an obedient gelding, struggling to be a good partner, stepped in. Hmmm, up to his knees. Okay, we'll continue. Two more steps, now up to his belly, and we still haven't made center. Mind you he is 16'2" and my friends horses are 15' 1".

As we stopped for me to evaluate the situation, yes, I know what you're saying, "fine time for that!", I spotted a limb just below the surface inline with Walkas upper right leg. Just as I spotted it, he took a step forward with his right leg and WHAM!

He did a rollback, or rollback and spin not sure happened in a split second and launched himself out of that pond. I took another route....somersaulting into the deepest part of the black water pond! :oops:

If you were to ask, "how deep was it", I could tell you exactly how deep. Just above my breasts, and I am 5'5".

So, in hindsight, of course I should not have attempted crossing. I broke a rule I have, and that is if you cannot see the bottom, you do not put your horse in it. And for my reward for breaking my own rule, I got to swim with the beavers! :hide:

Feel free to chastise me for my stupidity, and give much deserved sympathies to my Walka. :wink:

eclipseranch 08-12-2012 09:12 PM

nah no chastising..and come out from under that chair!!!
betcha never do that again =)

HappyHorses12 08-12-2012 09:15 PM

Thank you for sharing!

hi Walkamile! Thank you for sharing this experience - and I'm so glad neither of you were hurt! Heck, you were just testing the limits :-) Life with horses is one big adventure!

dctack 08-12-2012 09:17 PM

Live and learn. We ALL make stupid mistakes. The smart ones never make that mistake again.

Walkamile 08-12-2012 09:20 PM

LOL! You guys are being far too kind. I was not that kind to myself having put my boy in such a position. And yes, I will probably never do such a foolish thing again! :wink:

Especially since I haven't been able to sit comfortably for the last week and a half without my "special" pillow! :lol:

tinyliny 08-12-2012 09:27 PM

Fifty lashes with a wet noodle!

Walkamile 08-12-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1642404)
Fifty lashes with a wet noodle!

Now we're talking! That is a totally fitting and reasonable punishment! :clap:

QOS 08-13-2012 09:23 PM

ooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww so glad you weren't seriously hurt. Hahahahaha Walka may be looking at you funny the next time you ask to go into black water though!!!! :shock: Come on out from under the chair...we have probably all done something that in hindsite, wasn't our finest hour!!

Radiowaves 08-14-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QOS (Post 1643975)
...... in hindsite, wasn't our finest hour!!

Bless his heart! Wasn't he a trooper for giving it a go even though you KNOW that HE was having second thoughts... I'm just SO glad y'all came out without serious injury!

I'm totally with ya on the "visibility rule"... If *I* can't see the bottom, we ain't goin' in! I don't care WHAT anybody else says they see.... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 08-14-2012 05:42 PM

Well, you won't do THAT again, now will you? Sounds like a lesson learned, to me. We all have those. :thumbsup: