The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   ok all your horse camping folks. which wall tent is the best and why.? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/ok-all-your-horse-camping-folks-134448/)

canterburyhorsetrailrider 08-13-2012 12:42 AM

ok all your horse camping folks. which wall tent is the best and why.?

Just been talking to a keen outdoors riding friend and he asked me which wall tent would be the best to buy..

Here in NZ we dont really have much selection in good tents.

He wants to set up a summer camp and leave it erected all summer.

So help is needed..?:D

Who has been stealing all my carrots,.................??? smilies.

goneriding 08-13-2012 08:10 AM

Outfitters Supply is the best source for trail riding and horse packing equipment

Painted Horse 08-13-2012 10:33 AM

I've used the Davis Tent for years.
If you watch their website, They occassionally have their excess inventory sales at great prices.

They make wall tents in several fabrics so you can choose which fabric you prefer.

Wall Tents, Canvas Tents, canvas wall tent, canvas wall tent frames,

Ours is a 14' x16' Which is big enough 3-4 cots and a wood buring stove.
We run a ridge pole through the top and set it on two poles that we lash together on each end. The 14 x16 runs 60 lbs which offset the cyclinder stove we pack on the opposite of the horse.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...ollow/Tent.gif

We set it up and leave it for 4-6 weeks each fall. Since we come and go and are not there all 6 weeks. we place a blue tarp over it to help the snow slide off.

canterburyhorsetrailrider 08-13-2012 03:45 PM

Thank you so much for posting your reply and cool photo of your camp setup..

Here in NZ we do have a lot of back country huts, but a good riding friend and I would like to buy a good substantial wall tent and set it up for our summer season away from the main tracks so we can ride out and base ourselves there for a few weeks to enjoy the mountain life away from this modern fast paced world.

I posted a link here to gain some feedback on various tent makes that you folks have used and recommend..

Cheers Tony

QOS 08-13-2012 05:06 PM

I didn't steal the carrots...some low life keeps stealing mine. Biscuit is withering away to nothing for the lack of carrots.

canterburyhorsetrailrider 08-13-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QOS (Post 1643605)
I didn't steal the carrots...some low life keeps stealing mine. Biscuit is withering away to nothing for the lack of carrots.

Same here... there is a carrot thief amongst us..!

I gained a couple or three over the past couple of days to have them nicked by some masked chap....

I am not resorting to aiding this nicking by the temptation to nick others when prompted to have a go..(wink)...!Tony

Celeste 08-13-2012 06:11 PM

I didn't do it. Mine keep going down too.

canterburyhorsetrailrider 08-13-2012 08:14 PM

We need to find the town Sheriff..... anyone seen him..?

He is useless.... out chasing his tail somewhere no doubt....

If we dont watch it there will be a plague of carrot nickers...! lol

Celeste 08-13-2012 08:52 PM

Somebody just got another one of mine................

canterburyhorsetrailrider 08-14-2012 03:32 AM

Anyway, back to my original..?????? tell me about your wall tent for camping with horses..?
Anyone used a Montana Wall tent..?

That darn carrot nicker has caused me to loose my train of thought..lol