The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   9 year old Welsh cross mare confo critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/9-year-old-welsh-cross-mare-134465/)

hflmusicislife 08-13-2012 08:43 AM

9 year old Welsh cross mare confo critique

2 Attachment(s)
I posted a critique for Roxy awhile back, but I didn't have many good pictures and she was still finishing growing. I got a few okay side shots at a show a few weeks back, so I thought I'd get some more opinions! (excuse her sweat marks, we had just finished showing)

Roxy is a Welsh/Appendix/Belgian who I've been doing hunters with for the past 4 years. I tried a little eventing last year and loved it, and I'm thinking about switching her back again. So if you see anything that you think would make her better for one or the other, let me know! Also, how does her weight look? She's gained weight since this show so I've been muzzling her in hopes of getting her back down to how she looks here. Does that seem like a good weight for her?
Thanks!

Boo Walker 08-13-2012 12:06 PM

I REALLY like her!

hflmusicislife 08-13-2012 12:39 PM

Thank you! I do too ;) She's horrible to ride sometimes, but on her good days she's the best horse I've ever sat on :)

LetAGrlShowU 08-13-2012 12:42 PM

Me too. She is very pretty and looks very correct.

2horses 08-13-2012 12:46 PM

I'm not good at critiques, but she's beautiful. I'm curious about her Welsh lines. It's amazing to me how the Welsh really pass on their traits to crosses, like her elegant neck. I have a Half-Welsh, and you can really see the Welsh traits in him too.

hflmusicislife 08-13-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2horses (Post 1643174)
I'm not good at critiques, but she's beautiful. I'm curious about her Welsh lines. It's amazing to me how the Welsh really pass on their traits to crosses, like her elegant neck. I have a Half-Welsh, and you can really see the Welsh traits in him too.

She's actually from some pretty impressive lines, but unfortunately her dam was an unregistered Appendix/Belgian so she isn't register-able. I've only seen one picture of her dam and she appears to just be someone's pet that they loved and decided to breed- she's nothing overly stunning and has a few conformational flaws that I can see in Roxy. Her sire is Colonel Flurrie Fox, a registered half-welsh, is by Lands End the Colonel Fox, who produced numerous national champion welsh ponies. Lands End the Colonel Fox's sire Carolina's Red Fox was supposedly one of the most well known welsh stallions in the country and nearly all the champions at the pony finals held in Kentucky last week are related to him by some means. (I ride and train for the people who own Fox Cry Winnie the Pooh, also by Lands End the Colonel Fox, and dozens of super super nice Welshes from that line; they had tons of ponies they sold compete quite successfully there.)
Here's a few pictures of her sire, who was unfortunately gelded last I heard: 'Colonel Flurrie Fox' at Warmbloods-For-Sale.com
And then Fox Cry Winnie the Pooh: MORE PICS OF POOH BEAR

Unfortunately, she didn't quite get the temperament her lines are so well known for, but when she's on she moves out beautifully. At least I think so anyway :lol:

I spent a TON of time researching her bloodlines, which was quite a challenge since all I knew was her dam's barn name and her sire's name and there's not really any public records on either. I got in contact with the stallion's old owner and found out she has a full brother (who somehow ended up being a solid hand taller than her and much skinnier...) that looks just like her from the pictures I've seen. She said she purchased her sire and brother and would probably have bought Roxy too but she wasn't listed for sale until a month later... It was still really cool finding out so much info about her family because there's not much on record. I did a lottttt of emailing haha. Okay, that concludes my novel. :wink:

2horses 08-13-2012 08:05 PM

I have heard of Carolina's Red Fox and Fox Cry Winnie the Pooh. I know how fun it is to research and learn about your horse's relatives.