The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Odd Bumps Callous Tissue on Rear Hind Lower Legs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/odd-bumps-callous-tissue-rear-hind-134481/)

livelovelaughride 08-13-2012 11:08 AM

Odd Bumps Callous Tissue on Rear Hind Lower Legs

My TB gelding is new to me, plus he`s my first horse, so I don`t have much history to go on.
Because he`s older, I thought I`d be proactive and bought him back on track rear exercise boots for his hind and bell boots for the front.

There are a number of odd old scar type tissue formations between the fetlock and the pastern on the insides of both feet. It appears to me that he manages to hit himself or something. In the paddock he mostly stands around, not that active.

What could I do to help this clear up? Besides bubble wrap?

hrsrdr 08-18-2012 01:54 PM

Can you take pictures of him from behind? It sounds like a confirmation issue might be making him interfere, likely bowed hocks or narrow behind. There isn't much you can do about that except encourage him to move forward and keep the pro choice boots on; especially if they are sports medicine boots, they should help cover his pasterns. You can also find neoprene pastern wraps that should do the trick. Are they old rubs or new ones?
Posted via Mobile Device

Golden Horse 08-18-2012 02:05 PM

Pics would help and :rofl: on the 'rear hinds' as apposed to the 'front hinds' of course

Saddlebag 08-18-2012 10:33 PM

Have a highly recommended farrier attend to your horse. He may be able to shoe him to correct this issue. It does sound like he's been hitting himself.

Army wife 08-19-2012 05:10 AM

Scar tissue?...Am I picturing this wrong in my head...or could it have been from hobbles? I'm so confused on where this actually is on your horse. Pictures would speak volumes!

livelovelaughride 08-21-2012 11:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK I could not get Ed to stand perfectly square - he tends to rest his right hind toe alot.....but here are pics of his worse right hind pastern area and the left pastern which is not so cut up.

livelovelaughride 08-21-2012 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
His hind....as square as i could get, no one around to help me take photo!

Army wife 08-22-2012 12:00 AM

That's strange. You said he mostly just stands around...well, maybe he's clipping himself getting up and down? Doesn't seem too bad to me. He sure is cute though!!

poppy1356 08-22-2012 10:07 AM

Those definately look like cuts from himself. Most likely as he is getting up after a nap or a roll. I would talk to a good farrier and see what he recommends.