The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Keeping Blacks Black? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/keeping-blacks-black-134541/)

Moonshadow16 08-13-2012 07:50 PM

Keeping Blacks Black?

My pony mare that I have is jet black in the winter and when she first sheds in the summer. The only problem is that around march she bleaches to a dun-like color, and this makes me not want to show her because I feel like people will think that I'm not taking care of her. Does anyone know a trick to keeping blacks black in summer????? Other than keeping the horses in (my mare's out 24/7) or putting on fly sheets (she tears fly sheets off)??? ~~ Thanks !!!

verona1016 08-13-2012 07:54 PM

There are a number of supplements out there that claim to keep a black horse from fading in the summer (e.g. Black as Knight, SmartDark and Handsome), but they need to be started before the horse sheds his winter coat, and some of them can test positive if you show.

Moonshadow16 08-13-2012 07:59 PM

Thanks! I should try one of those... But about the drug testing, I try to do only local shows, do you think they would drug test at locals?

CLaPorte432 08-13-2012 08:02 PM

893 Attachment(s)
They will not drug test at a local level.

Ive heard feeding BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) helps as well.

The key is to start feeding this stuff before they shed out for summer. So start feeding in March, maybe earlier if your horse sheds early.

Keeping UV fly protection on them as well. Some sprays have UV protection in them. Fly sheets. Or keeping them inside during the day and turnout at night.
Posted via Mobile Device

Moonshadow16 08-13-2012 08:11 PM

Thank you! About how long do you keep feeding the supplement? Through the summer? Or just until she finishss shedding for the summer?

CLaPorte432 08-13-2012 08:15 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Throughout the summer.

Keep in mind, results vary from horse to horse as well.

From what i understand, a copper deficency is a main cause of sunbleaching so when your feeding these products, youll notice most have copper in them. Genetics also plays a role. ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Moonshadow16 08-13-2012 08:25 PM

Thank you so much! If only she had received the non-bleaching gene... .hahahahaha

CLaPorte432 08-13-2012 08:28 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Same here! Im rubbing my hands together with anticipation of next year for my recently purchased bleached out brown i just got. Shes icky right now. I wanna dye her. Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Moonshadow16 08-13-2012 08:33 PM

hahahaha I actually tried a dye-like conditioner I was so desperate........ They dont work... .hahahahahahaha

Celeste 08-13-2012 08:45 PM

My "black" horse is so faded right now! Her coat is all splotchy too.
I used to know some people that would dye their black horses to take them to local shows. If I were showing, I would keep her in during the day. As it is, I just let her fade.