The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Need Bit Info (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/need-bit-info-134567/)

TheSkipper 08-13-2012 10:44 PM

Need Bit Info

Hi everyone, I was hoping someone could give me a list of bits that starts at a kimberwicke and increases to a twisted wire. My horse is very hard mouthed, and a kimberwicke isnt really cutting it, and I absolutely do not want to use a twisted wire, but I cant think of anything inbetween, so if you could tell me what to try, that would be great!!

aspin231 08-15-2012 12:41 AM

I think this is a question of re-training, not bitting.

BubblesBlue 08-15-2012 12:43 AM

Go back to a snaffle. Don't bit up. Nononono.

Snaffles with copper and sweet iron also cause the horse to salivate and help with softening the mouth.

JustDressageIt 08-15-2012 12:43 AM

I honestly hate the Kimberwicke.. it's a very unclear bit. You're constantly riding on a curb rein with the curb chain engaged; there's no relief from that chain.
Can you describe exactly what your horse is doing?

Black Out 08-15-2012 12:55 AM

If you have a kimberwick uxeter, you can use the top hole and it really doesn't ever activate the curb chain. But if you use double reins it does. Some horses are very hard mouthed and can't be worked back down to a snaffle. Always ask your trainer/helper their opinion on it. If this is the case with your horse, there are a bunch of different options. You can use a lower port, a broken mouthpiece in the middle, a solid mouthpiece, a medium port. It all depends on what your horse is used to. I've heard some people say that you should switch to a stronger mouthpiece for a few days to get the horse to respect the bit. I've never done that before and have no experience with it whatsoever. But please, always ask someone whose more experienced than you. Some horses just don't go good in kimberwicks because of the chain action. I don't like kimberwicks, I like kimberwick uxeters.

TheSkipper 08-15-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Out (Post 1645919)
If you have a kimberwick uxeter, you can use the top hole and it really doesn't ever activate the curb chain. But if you use double reins it does. Some horses are very hard mouthed and can't be worked back down to a snaffle. Always ask your trainer/helper their opinion on it. If this is the case with your horse, there are a bunch of different options. You can use a lower port, a broken mouthpiece in the middle, a solid mouthpiece, a medium port. It all depends on what your horse is used to. I've heard some people say that you should switch to a stronger mouthpiece for a few days to get the horse to respect the bit. I've never done that before and have no experience with it whatsoever. But please, always ask someone whose more experienced than you. Some horses just don't go good in kimberwicks because of the chain action. I don't like kimberwicks, I like kimberwick uxeters.

could you recomend some specific bits? I dont have a jointed kimberwicke or one with rein slots, and my trainer suggested a stronger bit for field/trail work. This horse has a full cheek sow twist dr. bristol for riding in the ring, a D ring slow twist for random stuff like polo x and whatnot, and has a kimberwicke for field trail work, but being a retired racer, he will take advantage of my strength when he wants to go, so I dont ride him in anything less than a slow twist bit. After he took off with me multiple at full gallop and I couldnt stop or slow him (we were in the middle of a bean field and incredibly dangerous) my trainer let me borrow a rubber jointed pelham, and it was better, but not quite enough so we went to the kimberwicke we have now with no rein slots. So if you could recommend a few or send some pictures of bits you think I should try, that would be great. My friend suggested I try a oval gag with the rope that attaches to the crownpiece.

TheSkipper 08-15-2012 01:21 AM

And he doesnt seem to mind if its a broken mouthpiece or anything like that, he gets ridding in both types on a daily basis also, his dr. bristol bit is copper.

SorrelHorse 08-15-2012 01:28 AM

Personally I would never take a horse in training out of a snaffle unless they were ready.

BUT, if you choose to go with the "stronger for a few days" approach, I would suggest finding a twisted snaffle.

TheSkipper 08-15-2012 01:33 AM

I dont ride him in anything smoother than a slow twist, He is 14 years old, just hard mouthed. Hes very good he just is verryy strong in the field and when he is with a group of strange horses.

SorrelHorse 08-15-2012 02:27 AM

I would also suggest getting a Billy Allen shank. I know it's a western bit but it's kind. My older gelding goes in that. He is the same way, I COULD ride him out with others in a smooth snaffle but he's been yanked on and bitted up so many times by his previous owners that it's just not worth it anymore for the work he does.

That would be my plan, anyway.