The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cars and Trucks (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/)
-   -   Good vehicle to haul with? Help/advice PLEASE! (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/good-vehicle-haul-help-advice-please-134575/)

Klassic Superstar 08-14-2012 12:35 AM

Good vehicle to haul with? Help/advice PLEASE!

I'll be getting a vehicle to haul with soon. I'm not a car person.

I need to know what I should haul with, SUV? Truck? What should I'm know, be aware of.

Tow packages? Talk to me about these! Lol

I'm such a looser when it comes to knowing about cars!

Thanks!:wink:

ledge 08-14-2012 02:03 PM

How many horses are you hauling at a time?

Do you have a trailer and is it Bumper Pull or Gooseneck?

For short trips taking one horse a good half ton 4x4 pickup should suffice (no jacked up lifted 4x4)

a small 2 horse slant is no problem for a pickup with a good V8 motor and the reason why i suggest four wheel drive is they normally have a little better suspension, plus in some parts of the country the 4x4 capability can be handy in the winter during snow

equiniphile 08-14-2012 02:29 PM

Totally depends on what you're hauling. For any gooseneck, I would go with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. With a bumper pull, a 1/2 ton truck would be fine. We have a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.7 liter Hemi engine that pulls our BP just fine. I know people that pull BPs with V8s and even V6s (would NEVER recommend towing horses with a V6, no stopping power).

ledge 08-14-2012 02:38 PM

We hauled the 3 horse slant for years with a 1/2 ton 06 GMC 4x4 Z71 package it had the 5.3 Liter V8 with break controller, it did alright with only 1 or 3 horses but get 3 in it was a little bit of a chore.

Last year they got the 3/4 Ton (chev. z71) with the larger Gas Motor it has no problem pulling a full trailer.

My personal truck i use for my business is just an 06' GMC half ton with the 5.3, so when i go for fun, i can hook up to the 2 horse slant BP put two horses in just fine and that is without me installing a break controller (too lazy)