The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Half Chaps Question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/half-chaps-question-134584/)

mernie 08-14-2012 02:08 AM

Half Chaps Question

I am going to buy some half chaps and wondering whether I should go for a zipper closure or velcro? These are for lessons. Thanks! :-)

jumanji321 08-14-2012 02:23 AM

zipper will last longer as it won't get full of dirt as quickly as velcro and it won't be as likely to come undone.

boldstart 08-14-2012 03:23 AM

I dont like zipper half chaps, but I am currently using them.
My first pair of zipper half chaps only last three months tops (this was during middle of winter). I found the mud, dirt and exposure to the elements really harmful. After only a few weeks the zipper wouldnt even get down to the bottom.

I like velco because they could be tighten or made looser and were so much easier to put on. I had pair of velco half chaps that lasted over two years and that was with riding every day.

RebeccaMI 08-14-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mernie (Post 1644310)
I am going to buy some half chaps and wondering whether I should go for a zipper closure or velcro? These are for lessons. Thanks! :-)

I have both and I think there are pros and cons to both.

The zipper ones I have are definitely snug! It can be a pain sometimes to get them on, but once they are on they stay in place.

The velcro ones are easier to put on, but because I can't get them as snug as the zipper ones they will sometimes slip up on my leg just a tad.

I would definitely recommend going to a tack store and trying them on if possible. With something like half chaps where you want a snug fit, it's much less hassle in the long run if you can do that versus ordering multiple pairs, seeing which fits best, and then returning the others.

mernie 08-14-2012 08:15 PM

thanks for all the input. some good advice. I agree, maybe going in and trying on a few pair would be a good idea. I can see that fit is an individual thing. Thanks again :0)

gypsygirl 08-14-2012 08:18 PM

i agree with going to try them on. i personally like zipper half chaps a lot better, i just think they look more tidy and they fit plenty snug if you get the right size.

Meatos 08-14-2012 08:22 PM

I have suede zipper chaps with a snap closure at the top and love them. They were really snug at first but the elastic gussets alongside the zipper have relaxed some, and now they go on easily and stay in place. I haven't noticed any deterioration of the zipper but then again I've only had these since I started lessons in February and I'm always riding indoors.

Definitely go in and try stuff on to see what works for you. I actually didn't even know you could get velcro chaps, my tack shop only carries the zipper variety. Don't think I've seen velcro chaps on anyone at my barn either.

waresbear 08-14-2012 08:33 PM

I like the zipper ones, I don't like velcro on anything I wear, personal choice I suppose. Welcome to the forum as well, which part of BC are you from? I am from 100 Mile House.

mernie 08-14-2012 08:59 PM

I am in Grand Forks!
Lots of good advice here. Love this forum!! Thanks!

PintoTess 08-14-2012 09:05 PM

Personally, I like the zipper ones :) They fit comfortably and dont slip (well I wear long socks under mine to have that little bit extra non-slip).
I dont like the velcro ones. To me they look untidy and come undone really easy as well as the velcro getting dirty.

Welcome!