The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Help! What should I do to her mane? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/help-what-should-i-do-her-134654/)

Bellas Whinny 08-14-2012 04:38 PM

Help! What should I do to her mane?

5 Attachment(s)
This is my arab mare and she has rubbed out the lower section of her mane sticking her head through the fence and and scratching it on the trees and the barn. I really want her mane to look nicer than this. The lower section is all pourised, fuzzy, broken, nasty and just wont lay flat! I really do NOT want to roach or hog her mane. But I was wondering if I shave or trim the nasty part will it look ok? Or would it look weird? Her mane is nice up to her shoulder then to her withers it is just nasty! I am not showing for at least a year and I am thinking the air will grow back nice and healthy. And the hair towards the withers does not have to be super long, so I was thinking it would be ok. Please help!

Corporal 08-14-2012 05:03 PM

I've had horses rub parts of their manes off. They'll grow back. I'm wondering if it's either flies, or she is grazing by sticking her head through the fence.

Bellas Whinny 08-14-2012 05:06 PM

actually it is both, she sticks her head through the fence and rubs it off in the trees. it is suuupper thin and I wnt her to look neater. Do you think shaving that part off will look ridiculous?

Corporal 08-14-2012 05:08 PM

Nope. Roaching the mane is always a good summer option. =D

Roperchick 08-14-2012 05:09 PM

My horse charlie always has a chunk missing little turd...he rubs it all the way down to the skin...not that its itchy he jsut always has his head through the bars on his stall.

the best thing we did was put MTG on it and put a slinky over so that he wouldnt rub it off.

HorseCrazyTeen 08-14-2012 07:00 PM

Wow, she is a pretty horse except for that part! Lol. Well, I would condition it to death (a leave-in conditioner like Fructis is great), and then, as Roperchick said, put a slinky over it. If you don't have a slinky, then little braids stickin' straight up might prevent the mane from breaking off when she rubs it.

TwisterRush 08-18-2012 01:03 AM

I'd roach it honestly, when it grows out, her mane will be different lengths and it will look weird now... so yeah, imo just roach it off (: She will look so good !

Bellas Whinny 08-18-2012 10:16 AM

Thankyou very much:D
And I will have to think about the roaching:D
I dont want to cut my horses beautiful mane:cry: But well see.

Skyseternalangel 08-18-2012 10:37 AM

Honestly I'd only shave that iffy part out and then just keep the mane at a reasonable length as it grows back out.

But that's me :D

Failbhe 08-18-2012 10:50 AM

I completely understand your hesitation to roach her mane, the rest of it is so lovely... but just so you know, I roached my little mini gelding's mane (he had also rubbed parts of it, and it just looked scraggly and awful) and it grew back so much softer and nicer than it was before. Not saying you must roach, but that's my 2 cents.