The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Need HELP.....finding out what brand/maker my Western saddle is....please!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/need-help-finding-out-what-brand-134656/)

Stevie 08-14-2012 05:58 PM

Need HELP.....finding out what brand/maker my Western saddle is....please!!

7 Attachment(s)
Ok.....here is my problem. I am trying to find the brand/maker of my Western saddle. I think it's a Western saddle, anyway. My father left me 3 saddle's when he passed away, this is one of them. I used to ride, but it has been quite awhile & now I'm not able to. I have contacted & sent picture's to a few Saddle & Tack Retailer's....they had no answer's. So......I thought I would try asking here! With so many horse lover's, I'm hoping someone here can possibly help. There is the name...SYLVESTER'S in all cap's, on the leather's above the stirrup on each side of the saddle. Below the name SYLVESTER'S....are the letter's/initial's B.R.L.A. I have a few pic's that I can show you. Any info/advice or suggestion's will be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank's so much!!

RunSlideStop 08-14-2012 06:05 PM

I can't help, but I am very interested. I have a saddle that has the exact same tooling (99% sure, though it is currently 2,000 miles away so I can't check) that I have had for almost 12 years. It has the maker's name on the back/middle of the round skirt behind the cantle, though I can't remember his name... shoot. A man from Arizona, and I was only ever able to find out that he was an old saddlemaker (no kidding!...), but nothing else.

Anyway, would love to see what folks say.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stevie 08-14-2012 06:23 PM

Thank you, anyway!!

Thank's so much....anyway! Well.....hopefully we will BOTH find something out about this saddle! LOL Crossing my finger's :-) Thank's again

RunSlideStop 08-14-2012 06:25 PM

Scratch, his name is Ellis Upchurch, and he worked at Pioneer Store and Saddle Shop in Prescott AZ. Here is a mewspaper advert from 1959: Prescott Evening Courier - Google News Archive Search

I have a feeling your saddle may have been made by the same hands, or another's in the shop. I am still digging, as this is more info than I have seen in years. Our saddles are nearly identical in shape, size, and tooling. A bit of variation in skirt style and seat/cantle, but otherwise they look very similar. No "Sylvester's" on mine though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stevie 08-14-2012 06:40 PM

Would you by chance, know what the saddle is worth? Or.....how much you had purchased your's for? Thinking about selling the saddle's that I have, but am not quite sure what they are worth.

Stevie 08-14-2012 06:43 PM

Thank you for the newspaper article too! Will use the link to check on it!

RunSlideStop 08-14-2012 06:58 PM

I got mine for free from a family friend, but I would guess (assuming the tree is sound and the leather is in good condition) you could get about $300? I had the sheepskin on mine replaced about 7 years ago and it's still in great shape, which ups the value a little. The sheepskin on yours looks pretty in-tact and fluffy still, so that's good also. I would take it to a saddle shop or some place a little more specialized than your general farm store, and have someone appraise it.

Cheers!
Posted via Mobile Device

Courtnee h 09-29-2014 02:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have the same problem, I don't know what brand my saddle is. Hoping someone will have an idea, can't find any kind of logo or anything on it.