The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   question about bosals (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/question-about-bosals-134664/)

TimWhit91 08-14-2012 05:52 PM

question about bosals

So I was at a yardsale the other day, and they had some horse stuff. I bought a full set of professional choice boots, front and skids, for 10 bucks, and saw a bosal hackamore for 5. So I bought it. I have never used any kind of hackamore to train, but I figured I would get it on my 2 year old and see how he likes it. So here comes my question...he is used to a simple O ring snaffle, he can stop, back up, turn both ways at walk and trot. Is the training for a bosal the same as with a snaffle? I'm just not really sure how they work, I would think pressure would be put on the opposite side of the face when turning, but if anyone has any tips or if I should just leave it alone and hang it on my wall. Thanks

COWCHICK77 08-14-2012 06:18 PM

Riding in a hackamore is an art for sure. Just fitting your horse for a bosal takes some knowledge.
It wasn't meant for long term either, just while a young horses mouth was changing. It requires soft hands otherwise you end up with a hard faced horse that will run through it.

Read Ed Connels book Hackamore Reinsmen...that is sort of like the bible for hackamores.
Les Vogt and Martin Black have some decent YouTube videos about riding in the hackamore that will give you some insight.

ledge 08-14-2012 08:50 PM

The Bosal (though some think its pronounce Boss-al its Bow-sell) is what we put our young ones in, in the old vaquero tradition you can pair the Bosal with the Snaffle and get some nice movement from your horse very similar to some of the dressage riders with their dual bit setup.

loosie 08-14-2012 08:51 PM

Hi,

As far as effect, i don't see a true hack as any different to a rope halter. No, not quite the same feel cues for the horse as riding with a direct reining kind of bit like a snaffle. As the reins attach to the 'heel' of the bosal(or the chin loops of a rope halter, while you can direct rein English style, they're more suitable for neckreining & loose rein riding IMO.

TimWhit91 08-14-2012 08:58 PM

I was thinking of just putting him in the hackamore until his wolf teeth come in and I can get them pulled, they still haven't come in, but I'm sure they are hiding in there somewhere. I'm not a fan of riding in a rope halter on a young horse, but I think it is more of my own security than anything. I have never ridden in a bosal though, have ridden in mechanical hacks to try horses out, but that's it. I have been watching videos all day, from them it seems it isn't much different from the way you ride in a snaffle, so I'll give it a try.

ledge 08-14-2012 08:59 PM

In my experience, i have better control on a bit (if needed) but i will go to a special hackamore called a Stop n Go or Stop N turn, it can be more harsh than some of the bicycle chain hackamores.

But to me the difference between a hack and bosal is where the pressure is applied.

The Hack you cut off the air supply, in the bosal you pressure the nose.

I could be wrong on this but its what i've seen both are excellent tools if used properly (as with any tool)

ledge 08-14-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimWhit91 (Post 1645583)
I was thinking of just putting him in the hackamore until his wolf teeth come in and I can get them pulled, they still haven't come in, but I'm sure they are hiding in there somewhere. I'm not a fan of riding in a rope halter on a young horse, but I think it is more of my own security than anything. I have never ridden in a bosal though, have ridden in mechanical hacks to try horses out, but that's it. I have been watching videos all day, from them it seems it isn't much different from the way you ride in a snaffle, so I'll give it a try.

I don't follow a paticular trainer from RFD but Clinton will teach a "one rein stop" i believe in it as a life saver.

also when a young one starts a buck while under saddle you teach them to follow their nose around they cant buck while moving their hindquarters away from where you are pulling the head. but you have to be careful if doing this with a snaffle and works best in the Hackamore setup.

TimWhit91 08-14-2012 09:10 PM

yes, the one rein stop has saved me from a few bucking accidents lol. I'm going to go get the hackamore out of my car and look at it some more. I may need to fix mecate's they don't look like they are on right. Will be trying it on my boy tomorrow along with his new boots!!!

COWCHICK77 08-14-2012 09:32 PM

In Vaquero tradition the snaffle was never used. Horses weren't started until later so the hackamore was used until his mouth had stopped changing, trasitioned to the two rein, then again transitioning into the bridle.

The only guys I knew that used a snaffle/hackamore setup were the Portuguese. And I have rode that way with success as well.

I also do not find the halter or mechanical hackamore to have the same feel as a hackamore/bosal setup. The bosal should roll down the nose when pressure is applied, neither does so . The halter just applies constant pressure on the same area and the mechanical hackamore is a "clamp" on the face.

I have no issues with either but most folks who think they are doing their horse a justice by using a mechanical hackamore don't have it adjusted or use it properly making it more "cruel" than they thought hanging a bit in their horses mouth could be.

Riding in a halter or a hackamore is a bluff. Depending on how well you do it depends on how quick the horse calls that bluff. I can ride all of my horses in a halter or hackamore, do I do it all the time? No. But it sure is a nice tool to have when I want to get out of their mouth or need to hop on real quick done get something done.

boots 08-14-2012 09:44 PM

Richard Caldwell is another good hand with the bosal, clear up through the spade. He has a short vid on you tube called "hackamore hints" about attaching the mecate to the bosal. He may have others on using the bosal.

To me, the key to bring along a horse well with the bosal depends a bunch on the release. Using as little pressure to get the horse to give as necessary with a real quick release. That and not pestering them every step of the way. Constantly adjusting their head.