The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   How to make a mane grow! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-make-mane-grow-134714/)

harmony624 08-15-2012 01:10 AM

How to make a mane grow!

I've had my boy for just under a year, and his mane has not grown AT ALL. I'm wondering how to get it to grow longer, and how to make it thicker (as he has a super thin mane). Any ideas would be great!

Thanks

usandpets 08-15-2012 02:06 AM

What breed is he? Have you tried using MTG?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mochachino 08-15-2012 07:16 AM

MTG works really well. Apply along the crest. Smells horrible but works!

KattieDee 08-15-2012 10:35 AM

I was just going to ask this same question, thanks for saving me the trouble. Lol

KattieDee 08-15-2012 10:37 AM

Questions about the MTG though, have y'all had any trouble with it burning your horse? Some people have told me you need to stall him after use, and some say just apply in the evening and by morning it will be soaked in enough not to burn him in the sun. Feedback please :)

mls 08-15-2012 11:05 AM

NOTHING makes hair grow. Genetics are genetics folks.

A correct diet encourages a healthy horse. Keeping the pores clean and blood stimulation will aid in having good skin.hide. BUT NOTHING MAKES HAIR GROW.

Boo Walker 08-15-2012 11:28 AM

I love MTG, it works great to keep tangles out and no matter what other people say, using it once a week I got a couple inches of new growth to my Mustang's mane and tail. I don't use it on the Belgian though because of his mane's light color, the MTG attracts dirt. I also use MTG on healed wounds that need a little boost to get the hair re-growing. I've used it in the morning with the boys out in sunshine all day. Never had a burn problem.

harmony624 08-15-2012 05:23 PM

He's an Arab.
I guess I should have been clear: I'm all about the natural. I HATE anything with chemicals in it, etc. :p

COWCHICK77 08-15-2012 06:22 PM

I recently switched feeds(almost 4 months ago) to Strategy gx, I have seen a huge improvement in my horses coats, mane/tails and feet. More so even with my gray mare who has horrible feet I also put her on Horseshoers Secret. Her feet are growing( I can't wait until they get long enough to where the shoer can nail to the new, better growth) and her mane and tail have grown. It is no thicker really but I think the hairs may be stronger and not breaking off and in turn making for a longer mane/tail.

I agree with mls that genetics play a huge roll in mane length/thickness. But proper nutrition will help as well. I Love MTG, but it is handy for one that rubbed his mane out in the fence due to skin irritation. I would suggest doing a patch test when using MTG. I have had a couple of horses not agree with it.

PunksTank 08-15-2012 08:49 PM

MSM, Brewer's Yeast and Biotin! all great for hair, skin, teeth, and soft tissue :D they're all perfectly safe supplements - all my horses get it for regular upkeep. My mare has a habit of rubbing her mane out but this year on those supplements it grow in long thick and wavy! You may notice their hooves grow faster too though - my pony suddenly started needing his feet trimmed more often when he got on it.