The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   My newest addition (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/my-newest-addition-134767/)

Shoebox 08-15-2012 03:21 PM

My newest addition

1 Attachment(s)
This is my newest buddy. He's a house sparrow, and he is 100% blinder than a bat. I know many people think house sparrows are pests, but he's really not very pest-y. He's been blind his whole life, and has no idea he's any different than normal birds. His favorite things include bathing in his seed dish and mealworms! He's kind of scraggly as he has yet to grow in his adult feathers (and thus I don't really know a gender... For now, he's a he) but when he molts his new feathers should be bright and shiny.

Conrad And Freddie 08-16-2012 03:46 PM

Aw he is so cute! Is it difficult keeping a blind bird? I can't wait to see what he will look like with his shinny feathers :)

Failbhe 08-17-2012 12:30 AM

I love sparrows. I have a tattoo of one on my left arm, and soon I'll be adding a second. They are so resilient and adaptable.

How did this little guy end up in your life?

Shoebox 08-17-2012 11:08 AM

I'm an intern at a wildlife rehab center, and this guy came in when he was only a few days old. Once they found out he was blind, I offered to take him in, as the blindness would mean he would be euthanized. So he stayed there until he was healthy enough to come home with me!

It's not too difficult to keep him - he knows his way around his cage, knows where his food is. The only issue I'm having is his left eye - it's kind of goopy and swollen, I think he was taken off his eye meds too soon. :p

Shoebox 09-17-2012 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
An update - He is doing amazing! He doesn't even know he's blind. Can get around just fine, absolutely loves his bells and playing in water.

FBody355 09-17-2012 10:13 PM

What wonderful thing you're doing for him. He's all like "Yeeahh, what's up!?"

animallove 09-17-2012 10:18 PM

Cool sparrow

Jessabel 09-20-2012 11:24 PM

Aww, he looks like he's smiling in the second picture. :-)

I think he might be the luckiest bird in the world. Babies have a high mortality rate under the best circumstances, and your guy survived despite being orphaned and blind. That's truly amazing, and you're awesome for taking him in. :)

Cinder 09-21-2012 05:44 PM

Cute sparrow! Great job, taking him in :).