The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Can a barrel horse have TOO MUCH bend? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/can-barrel-horse-have-too-much-134796/)

BubblesBlue 08-15-2012 07:54 PM

Can a barrel horse have TOO MUCH bend?

I have seen this said a few times now.

I have a super bendy horse, but I never considered her too bendy... And you usually can't see a horse bend like her. Is this simply because the rider can't handle it or...?

Please elaborate for me.

BarrelRacingLvr 08-15-2012 09:37 PM

Yes I personally believe a horse can be to bendy....when running I want my horses nose tipped just to where I can see their eye. I don't want a horse that can run around a barrel with their nose touching my knee. I don't want any horse PERIOD to be able to touch my knee when going in a forward straight motion. When I take their face it means I am wanting to get their attention from a buck, ect and want to STOP forward motion. I know a few people who are all about flexing, and bending and more and more flexing and bending to their knee.....they no longer do that much flexing to the knee while working after their horse was a run away and couldn't do a one rein stop because the horses nose was at the knee already :)

So I want a horse soft and supple....but I don't want them to be over flexing because it can cause you to lose just as much time as some horse who run without flex and can't get their nose.

Hope that made some sense....I am having a hard time wording it how I want lol. But yes I believe a horse can be too bendy.

SorrelHorse 08-16-2012 02:34 AM

Tehe...My 19 year old gelding Rebel can do the "I'm gonna stick my nose to your boot but still fly down this trail at 30mph" thing. :lol: We now disengge the hindquarters rather than just a one-rein stop.

beau159 08-16-2012 09:27 AM

As described very well above ^^^^^, YES a horse can be too bendy.

barrelbeginner 08-16-2012 11:37 PM

OH MY! my gelding poncho.. can be like touching his freaking behind.. and still going the fastest his legs can run.. its ridiculous!

COWCHICK77 08-17-2012 12:19 AM

That is when his head is not connected to his ass.

That is not good no matter what discipline or event you compete in :)

barrelbeginner 08-17-2012 12:21 AM

He is a trail riding horse lol.. but yes that is very true and not safe.. IMO..

JustaSkippenJess 09-04-2012 12:14 AM

YES! a barrel horse can absolutely have too much bend! Anymore a lot of trainers and pro girls aren't asking for near the amount of bend as they used to. It can actually set the horse up incorrectly and throw their backs out as well. They should be working more so off their hind end than anything else to make a correct turn.