The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horses in high school (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horses-high-school-134799/)

Jore 08-15-2012 08:09 PM

Horses in high school

I'm sure there have been other threads on this, but I figured I'd ask others what their experiences were with owning a horse in high school.

Why I'm asking? My dad (and my mom, although my dad and I bear most financial responsibility) has finally agreed to a horse and we're going to check one out on this coming Sunday. I'm really excited, but my mom is worried about the time factor.

This coming school year (grade 11), I'll be taking a total of three science courses and two math courses throughout the year.. which I don't believe will be too time consuming as long as I remain consistent in my work and studying. My mom however, is thinking I won't have enough time. I know that I'd likely make it work, because I want it enough to put in the effort.. but I just want to hear some of your experiences.

Thank you!

BubblesBlue 08-15-2012 08:21 PM

Well, I'm going into the same grade as you and I have more than enough time with my horses.
Just get that horse and show your mom how wrong she is. Good luck and congratulations! :-)

Jore 08-15-2012 08:28 PM

Thanks! I don't doubt that I can do it.. I plan on just really using my time in class and maybe studying a little bit each night. Even leasing Major, I get down at least two or three times a week, but I know with my own horse, I'd be even more motivated to get down. I'm also thinking of *possibly* moving the horse closer and changing lesson barns, depending on how my coach takes the thought of me not purchasing my lease horse haha.

AlexS 08-15-2012 08:32 PM

When I was in HS I boarded at a self care boarding barn, I used to get up at 5am, ride my bike to the barn feed, turn out, muck out, head home, shower and go to school.
I rode 5 times a week which included showing twice a week, going to a trainers once a week AND I had a part time job. On top of all of that my parents expected me to get As, would give me hell over a B, and threaten to lease out my horse if I got Cs.

If you want to do it, you will do it.

Jore 08-15-2012 08:37 PM

That's my case as well, my parents are fully expecting me to pull in grades of at least 88% in all my classes. The horse is to be somewhat of a motivator since I generally lack motivation for school work because all my life, I've been the kid who pulls off As without studying.. so having to study for exams and such has been pretty new to me. :)

AlexS 08-15-2012 08:39 PM

That's good for you Jore, I know you might not see it that way but for me at least, I needed that kick up the rear end. I could happily have slept my way through my classes if it were up to me.

Jore 08-15-2012 08:45 PM

Haha, I'm well aware that I do.. although I think I might have ADD.. as does my mom, who has her masters degree in clinical counselling and psychology. A couple psychologists have said I have a lot of the markers for it too. I have to really work hard to actually focus in half my classes because my mind often just trails off and I'll completely zone out.

I still get decent grades (usually in the 80s, but sometimes in the 70s or 90s) but I have a zero attention span and it just seems to impact my grades more and more as I advance. So I'm just hoping this gives me the final bit of motivation that I need.

BubblesBlue 08-15-2012 08:46 PM

We must be twins or something. I have ADD too. :lol: I feel your pain.

Jore 08-15-2012 08:58 PM

Haha, at least I have an excuse for my short attention span! My friends would argue that I have ADHD though, seeing as how I'm probably the most talkative person I know.. meaning my mouth goes a couple hundred miles/minute and I'm never out of things to say. :P

I have an appointment though about medication and such, so maybe that'd help a teensy bit.

PhelanVelvel 08-15-2012 10:11 PM

You sound smart to me, I bet you can do it. :] You just have to have time management. I think with a schedule it will be easy. If you set aside a certain amount of time for schoolwork each day, and you really focus during it, you can spend all your free time with your horse if you want. And that way, you won't feel like you're neglecting either one.

One good thing you could do (and I was absolutely horrendous at this, to the point that I chucked mine) is use an "agenda book" as they called them at my school. We got one at the beginning of each year, there was a spot for each day, and we would write down all of the assignments for our subjects that needed to be done right when the teacher assigned each one. This is just a great way of doing it, because if you do homework at school and at home, you can keep track of which ones you finished easily and check them off as you complete them. You'll never forget to do an assignment or to study for a quiz/exam, because it will be staring you in the face every time you open that book. Even though I just could not be bothered with them, it would have saved me forgetting to do homework all the time.