The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   my horse prejeduce just got busted (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/my-horse-prejeduce-just-got-busted-134834/)

littrella 08-16-2012 07:51 AM

my horse prejeduce just got busted

I have never like Arabians. All the ones I've been around have been hot, snorty, spooky and generaly hard to handle. Therefore, over the years, I've developed the attitude, "nope, dont like arabs". Well, last night, my normal lesson horse was lame again. My instructor told me to go get Hart, a little arab mare. "Oh holy crap!" Hart is pened with my normal lesson horse. She prances & squeals when I come to get Kiowa. She calls to him untill she cant see him. Got her tacked up & got into the arena. My instructor asked me if I was ok. I mumbled something about "eating dirt " & went on my way. OMG, I think I'm in LOVE! As soon as we hit the arena, she was quite & focused. She was so easy, responsive & soft! I could feel my leads so much better, my balance was awsome & my instructor said she's never seen me relax that much. It was by far my best lesson yet. I now have a new favorite lesson horse & learned not to judge a horse by it's breed

DancingArabian 08-16-2012 08:06 AM

They sometimes have more of an expressive personality than other horses but they really are a love. Theyre quirky and opinoinated but theyll work their butts off for you.

Welcome to the dark side!
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 08-16-2012 08:09 AM

Haha I used to be the same way until I adopted one. She has by far the most personality I have ever seen from a horse. And she will do everything to please. I miss that quarter horse swagger sometimes but there's nothing like an Arab.

walkinthewalk 08-16-2012 08:21 AM

Until I realized it wasn't the fault of the breeds, I disliked QH's and Appy's for years because I grew up being an Arab and Morgan person, for which I paid heavily from my QH & Appy trail riding buds - lollol

My best babysitter ever is my 26 yr old Arab that I rescued 19+ years ago. He's been a baby and toddlers horse since he was well enough to put someone on his back.

He came to me starving and with an injured vertebra so I could never ride him. However, his little 13.3H self quickly became a lesson horse for children ten and under.

As has been stated, Arabs are loyal to their death but one has to earn that loyalty with an Arab. They are intelligent to their own un-doing and greatly mis-understood; just like Rottweilers, Dobermans and Pit Bulls:-P

Country Boy 08-16-2012 09:03 AM

I have little to no Experience with Arabs. (so expensive!) Now that I've read these comments i'd love to try and get an Arab latter on in life.

poppy1356 08-16-2012 09:36 AM

How are arabs expensive? Other than my girl's health issues (completely unrelated to her breed) she doesn't cost anymore than any other breed.

SEAmom 08-16-2012 09:57 AM

A lot of the cost is area-related. They are considerably more expensive in my area because they are fairly uncommon. Well, the decent ones anyway. Around here you can find qhs, paints, and gaited horses like they're going out of style and they can be purchased accordingly. After the initial cost, arabs are generally no more expensive than any other breed and are generally easy keepers.<br />
<font size="1"><i>Posted via Mobile Device</i></font>

nikelodeon79 08-16-2012 10:00 AM

My first Arab was free, my second cost $250. :) (he was originally purchased for $50,000.00, so he came from great lines, apparently).

I was a QH girl through and through. My mentor warned me that Arabs were too hot/flighty when I was looking at an Arab mare to buy. A few years later, my mentor ended up getting an Arab by chance (a sort of a rescue situation) and it didn't take long for her to call me and say, "I was wrong, Arabs are WONDERFUL!" Now, despite the fact that she has 14 horses of various breeds, an Arab is her chosen personal riding partner.

I personally love both QHs and Arabs, but I have found Arabs to be a bit more openly loving. No matter how much time I spend away from my horses, my Arab is always like, "OMG I LOVE you and I MISSED you SO BADLY!" My QH is more like, "Where the heck have you been? It's not like I care, or anything... hey, where you going? You aren't leaving, are you?"

Cherie 08-16-2012 10:50 AM

A good horse is a good horse! A good ride is a good ride! A personal pleasure or trail horse can be any horse that gets the job done. Trainable horses come from every breed and type.

Now, when it comes to a certain use or job to do, breed and type makes a LOT of difference.

An endurance rider is a silly for riding anything but an Arabian.

But, if you want to run the barrels or have a competitive cutting horse, you would not get it done on an Arabian.

A dog you get for a pet can be any kind of dog. But, you would not get a beagle to be your next stock dog or get a Pyrenees to hunt rabbits.

nikelodeon79 08-16-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1647756)
But, if you want to run the barrels or have a competitive cutting horse, you would not get it done on an Arabian.

Actually... a girl I used to show with had an Arab that did FANTASTIC on barrels!