The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Do you think this is a good idea? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/do-you-think-good-idea-134845/)

PaintMare 08-16-2012 11:10 AM

Do you think this is a good idea?

Soo I've been riding for 7 years, I'm 17. I've worked at many barns, helped trainers, showed, ridden LOTS of green horses and I own three horses. We keep them on our property and I do basically all the work to care for them. I started teaching my little sister how to ride on a pony we own. The pony is soo calm, trustable and gentle...you could basically call him a babysitter. And then some friends of my mom's kids wanted to ride and offered to pay me to teach them. So I've been teaching them on the pony. I feel like I do okay at teaching them...they are beginners. We have helmets, liabilty forms and a small fenced in riding area.

So I was wondering if you guys think its okay for a seventeen year old to be teaching beginners how to ride? I don't want a ton of people to be taking lessons....one cause I'm not a "professional trainer" and two because I don't want the pony to be worked to much. I really only want two or three lessons a week.

I've had people tell me I'm good at teaching...but there are some people who call themselves "professionals" even though they're not, say that I have no right teaching

I feel like its not fair for people that do drugs and alcohol, talk on the phone while teaching, walk out of the arena while teaching, yell at their students and don't have a safe farm or safe teaching methods...to call themselves a professional and then tell me I shouldn't be teaching. Even when I don't do any of the things they do.

Soo sorry this was so long....but what do you guys think? Should I be teaching a few kids to ride?

MisssMarie 08-16-2012 11:21 AM

I see no problem in it, so long as you are experienced and careful. Just know what you're doing :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Blue 08-16-2012 11:26 AM

I think as long as your parents and the parents of the students are ok with it, and you keep it to just a few a week, there should be no problem. I'm sure your parents understand that as a minor your liability is their liability. Other than that, sounds like you've found your calling in life!

Copperhead 08-16-2012 11:38 AM

In riding for 7 years, you are still considered a beginner. No offense, but I wouldn't allow my daughter to be taught by someone that young. Even though you are experienced, you are also very inexperienced on many levels.

Most non-horse people will see no problem with you teaching their children, because you have 7 more years of knowledge than they do. However, older, more experienced equestrians will see a problem with it, because there is still a TON you need to learn when it comes to the business.

My advice is to never sell that pony, because he keeps your students safe. Would you know what to do if a horse took off with a student and wouldn't stop? Would you know how to control the situation? Would you know how to talk a student through a bucking spell? How fast could you react? If you already have the answers as to what you would do, you aren't experienced enough. Every situation is different when it comes to students and horses and you have to adapt quickly, because telling them a predetermined plan of action in a real emergency won't work, since everything with horses never falls in a predetermined course. Especially when poo hits the fan.

Keep the pony, don't expect much out of your students. At this age, all they want to do is have fun, and the parents want them to be safe. Your forgiving pony, your arena, and some Instruction will keep them safe. Parents will be happy. Keep the kids smiling, and they will be happy.

And be careful. You are still a minor.

MHFoundation Quarters 08-16-2012 11:41 AM

I was giving lessons at your age (I grew up with a trainer for a mom and shadowed her for years) so I have no problem with experienced teens giving beginner lessons. The tricky part though is liability insurance. Even with a hold harmless agreement, one can still be sued for negligence, which being a minor alone can be viewed to be. I would urge you to have your parents look into the ins and outs of their liability policy. Most standard homeowners policies will not cover equine liability. Some farm policies will, mine is with the farm policy and is an added expense.
Posted via Mobile Device

Red Raiders 08-16-2012 12:00 PM

I would have no problem letting one of my kids be taught by you if you're experienced.

Island Horselover 08-16-2012 12:06 PM

I think it is a great idea and opportunity for the kids, for you and the horses! If you have a safe pony to teach them on and are responsible - go for it and I think 7 years of riding and taking care of 3 horses by yourself - in my opinion you are not considered a beginner! As long as you are enjoying it and the kids are safe - go for it!!!

loveduffy 08-16-2012 12:10 PM

I think it should be good I agree with others that said you get insurance you do not wont to lose what you have