The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse Sitting (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-sitting-134848/)

GreySorrel 08-16-2012 10:42 AM

Horse Sitting

How often do you use a horse sitter during the year? I watch our neighbors horses when they go on vacation or if another one has an ailing horse and is at work and can't go check, or if they just need turn out if the owner is unable to do it, etc. Several people are very comfortable leaving me with their equines, I am well versed on colic, laminitis care, working with horses in general, and have even gone for 3 weeks to help a good friend clean and wrap a rather nasty wound on the back of the heel bulb when the vet was unable to get his mare to settle and stand. She knew me so she let me do the "dirty" work while playing with my braid...

This morning a friend of mine is going out of town and I am going to care for her horses and pony while she is gone. Got to talking about it and a need for someone with experience and know how, she encouraged me to see about what one needs to do as she said I would have a lot of business in our area.

Anyone do large animal pet sitting? Do you enjoy it? What do you like vs not like about it? Do you know the going rate in your area?

Red Raiders 08-16-2012 10:46 AM

We might use a neighbor down the road if we need to go somewhere. Usually for family events. Normally we don't use one.

GreySorrel 08-16-2012 11:42 AM

Thanks for the reply!

HarleyWood 08-16-2012 12:33 PM

ive done it a few times and we check on theirs also so we pretty much pay each other in watching the other persons horses.

im not so happy about the last time she brought little kids out to our house and didnt tell us.. my dogs think little kids as toys not people. and let them feed our horses which they arent trained for little kids and two of them act like foals and play alot not nicely some times... but we have supplements ours get and it takes some time to wait for them to finnish. and feed the dogs and water them!

at their house they have like 8 ponies and 5 horses. we just check on the horses and ponies and take care of their injured pony, and take care of their dogs.

kitten_Val 08-16-2012 12:52 PM

I never used one myself, but I happily do it for my neighbor once in while (for free of course, I declined the pay she offered in past). I know people who use horse sitters quite often (especially in summer time when they go on vacation).

Delfina 08-16-2012 01:01 PM

It's hard to find good help.

I did all the vacation care for where I used to board after a hired individual (who came with glowing references) mixed up a gray Welsh pony with a bay Morgan and there were COLOR PICTURES posted of each horse, labeled with their names and which stall they belonged in. Thankfully they were both on the same diet basically, so all that happened really was that they spent a week in the wrong stalls at night.

Mixing up other horses could have been really disastrous though since there were multiple bay horses and a chestnut that eats 10x the amount of grain as any of the other horses. To go from a handful of grain mixed with supplements to 9 quarts of grain, could make a horse seriously ill.

mls 08-16-2012 01:08 PM

Most of the equine techs at our clinic offer horse/pet/farm sitting services.

Critter sitter 08-16-2012 01:19 PM

well as my name states "critter sitter" I do watch all though.. Big and small.
I love my Job it is very rewarding..
One thing i stress though to all out there doing it.. GET INSURENCE.
It is pretty Cheap and May save your ass.... Knock on wood I have never needed it But you never know.. When you go on to someone elses property and care for the animals there you are responsible for more than the animal.

Critter sitter 08-16-2012 01:24 PM

as for Rates it really depends on what is needed.. I normally charge for horse care up to 3 horses 25$ a visit and 10$ for each horse after. But I cut deals and give discounts for rescues and Millitary.

GreySorrel 08-16-2012 03:45 PM

Thank you Critter Sitter...things to think about. Appreciate the stories too