The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Show Clothes (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/show-clothes-134875/)

Kelly22790 08-16-2012 04:33 PM

Show Clothes

Cheapest route for western showmanship show clothes? I am only showing my mare in showmanship as it is her first show and I just want to get her used to the idea. What is everything (clothing wise) that I need to do so and how can I go about it cheaply? It's just an open show.

SorrelHorse 08-16-2012 05:11 PM

Since this is just an easy show I would just find a solid button-up shirt and black jeans with a belt and hat. You don't really need the hat but I find it adds to the image :)

SimplySoft 08-16-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 1648345)
Since this is just an easy show I would just find a solid button-up shirt and black jeans with a belt and hat. You don't really need the hat but I find it adds to the image :)

i agree that your clothes should fit well, be clean and pressed. Many American Quarter Horse exhibitors wear starched Wranglers, a starched, long-sleeved shirt with collar and Western boots and hat as the basics of their Western outfits. Hat is a must in open or high level showing. most shows rules are pulled from the AQHA rule book as guidelines

tasunke 08-22-2012 08:27 PM

Rods.com has some nice show tops for under $100. Ebay and tracktrader are good places to look at also.

GotaDunQH 08-29-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 1648345)

You most certainly do need a hat! That is a requirement, even for local shows that follow the rules of national show associations.

SimplySoft 08-29-2012 10:28 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Barrelracer00 09-09-2012 03:30 PM

I would go with just your average button up long sleeve shirt! You can get them at Rod's, and even Tractor Supply or Southern States. You could use any jeans, I like the Wranglers Startched ones though for Showmanship. And hats are a must. You don't need a real fancy one from one of those AQHA shows, just get one from Tractor Supply or Southern States. Hope I helped :) And if you start doing AQHA or any of those big association shows, go to Jeans Custom Show Fashions, Show Diva, or Connie's Custom. AMAZING show clothes cheap!

Smokum 11-16-2012 04:16 PM

For cheap tips a button down is nice. I know this is weird but i look for 70's style shirts. They have the bigger cuffs and necks. and ill buy stick on jewelry or iron on bead stuff for arts & crafts and add a little for bling to the shirt, if needed. I never try and spend $40 on a shirt project! They like unique anyways!
Even your boots, if you have a real crappy pair of boots just spray paint them flat black and then gloss black. Always useful for cuts or dull old useful boots.
And never forget Gloves, honestly, they cant tell while riding. i use dollar store black winter gloves with the grippies.
Hair nets are cheap, for the pin i bought a $.50 pin off Ebay with a horse on it running, i just pin it through my braid and into my net so it looks pro. :)

spurstop 11-16-2012 09:02 PM

No gloves.

If you are going to start showing regularly, you should invest in a good quality, properly shaped hat. "Fashion" hats have no place in an arena. Cheap hats looks awful and very novice. They just scream "I don't know what I'm doing."

GotaDunQH 11-17-2012 02:26 PM

^ agree about the hat! Your BIGGEST expense is always a quality hat.