The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Ever wonder (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/ever-wonder-134876/)

Copperhead 08-16-2012 06:36 PM

Ever wonder

Have you ever wondered what the heck happened to your horse?

I was given my horse because she was dangerous and unmanageable. In just a handful of rides, she has stopped rearing, stopped bucking, stopped dragging on the lead line, and she doesn't flip over anymore when tied. Today's ride was amazing. We cantered both ways and I was finally able to give her some rein to let her stretch out. She cantered on the correct lead and didn't stop until I asked her to come down. She listens to my half halts like a champ. I sink my seat ones into the saddle and she comes right to a stop. I pick up the rein and ask for a rollback with my leg, and she turns on a dime. She is responding well to leg aids and I might even switch her over to a bosal soon.

We are still far from where I would like to be, but she has come so far, so fast, I'm wondering where her training went wrong. I worked with her a couple years ago and discovered that when she's not working, she gets restless. But if you give her a job, she's extremely driven.

I got her from a very nice woman, so I know she didn't mistreat her (I've known this woman for years). She said she sent Raina away to be trained by the Amish, and when she came back, she would rear when tied. It snowballed from there, I guess. This isn't the first horse I have retrained from Amish hands, and not the worst, by far.

When she reared, it seemed sudden and uncalled for. There didn't seem to be a trigger. She'd be standing there quietly and then BAM, she'd be in the air. I'm just perplexed, is all. Raina will never be a beginners horse, but she is far from crazy and dangerous right now, and it just took a couple months of off and on rides.

She has scars on her face, and a huge indent in her shoulder where the muscle has been scarred (looks like some kind of trama deteriorated it). She also has a smaller muscle scar on her hind quarters where the muscle dips unnaturally. I wish she could tell me what all went on.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...89426841_n.jpg

And this is her today. She's all wonky because she never had back polos on lol so that's what her stance is about. You can see the muscle indent on her shoulder.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...44934880_n.jpg

Please excuse the hair-do...they put new round bale holders out and it's been rubbing her mane short.

Roperchick 08-16-2012 06:49 PM

aaaw shes a cutie! shes a beauty

im lucky. i know basically my mares entire history....i even know a girl who saw her as a foal at a horse camp she went to when Josie was in CA! and charlie i got at 2 months, Sugar, Red, and Hawkeye were all born and raised by their previous owners and we are friends of the breeders.

The only thing i dont know about Josie is when and where she had her two foals...hmmmmm

cowgirl4753 08-16-2012 07:29 PM

I recently got a mare from a friend of a friend, who had been using her as a broodmare the last couple years but never rode her(got her from an auction sale). The more I work with her the better she gets. Found out she can side pass, half pass, do flying lead changes and the minute you say whoa you better be ready cuz her butts in the ground!
All that aside she has serious ground issues. Took a lot of work to catch her because she was scared of the halter. Was so head shy she would fly back words if you touched her face anywhere! Won't let anyone near her hindquarters, and to pick up her feet was a battle.
She has come along way since I got her 3 months ago but I always wonder what happened to her. She us so broke under saddle I can ride her to the neighbors in a halter, but she still freaks out when people she doesn't know come up to her.
Wish she could talk!
Posted via Mobile Device

cowgirl4753 08-16-2012 07:32 PM

Wish I could figure out how to post a pic off my phone, I would show her to you!
Posted via Mobile Device

cowgirl4753 08-16-2012 07:40 PM

http://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set...&type=1&op=1&v

New to this! This is my mare I was talking about when she first came home!

waresbear 08-16-2012 07:56 PM

Can't see your pic cowgirl, shucks. Copperhead, would be interesting to know how your horse got those various scars. I know ever last detail about my horses, every last scar, when they were born, you name it. They can't hide nuttin' from me, or act up using the excuse of being abused, they never have been. One I owned since he was weaned, the other, his sire, I knew & worked for his former owner, who in turn knew every detail about him as a foal until she bought him as a yearling. They had perfect lives, all cushy too.

Casey02 08-16-2012 08:04 PM

That indent on her muscle almost looks identical to a hoof print! But that is great to hear that you have improved her so much! The scars do make me wonder though...if only horses could talk

Copperhead 08-16-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey02 (Post 1648484)
That indent on her muscle almost looks identical to a hoof print! But that is great to hear that you have improved her so much! The scars do make me wonder though...if only horses could talk

Omg you're right! I never noticed that before! I'm Pratt sure the one on her butt (not pictured) is from a hoof. It looks like someone indented her with the tip of their toe on her butt. I never noticed the shape of her shoulder one though! That's very interesting!

I do know that Raina was bred by the woman I got her from. She raised her and then sent her to the Amish to be trained. Tried to use her as a lesson horse, it didn't work. I trained her for a bit on trails 2 or 3 years ago and she settled into them eventually. I then left the area and have no idea what happened next. My friend said she was leased and it didn't work out, then she was sold and returned. I'm glad I have her now. I wanted her back when I put some training on her a couple years ago.

Cowgirl, wish I could see your pic! She sounds pretty!

cowgirl4753 08-17-2012 12:06 AM

Cowgirl, wish I could see your pic! She sounds pretty![/QUOTE]

http://www.horseforum.com/members/35...y-horses-4713/
That should take you to my album here, for some reason I can't load pics right onto the thread. She is the palomino named Dolly. Hope that works!

Copperhead 08-17-2012 12:34 AM

She's beautiful!