The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Mutated fleas/help (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/mutated-fleas-help-134896/)

eclipseranch 08-16-2012 10:26 PM

Mutated fleas/help

worst year ever bombed the house, Frontline, baths ugh still having an issue.. any one have any tricks...I am starting to wonder if they have mutated and become immune to what has always worked before

smrobs 08-16-2012 11:09 PM

If you use the same insecticides on them season after season, they become immune to the poison, yes. After that, it seems the harder you try to kill them (if you continue to use the same stuff), the more of them seem to come back.

You need to change to a different insecticide to try to kill them. You may end up being stuck with something that is a bit more dangerous to handle than the regular goop that most folks use.

We used to use diazinon based dips for our dogs several years ago and we would usually alternate it with something else (I can't remember now what it was).

You'll need to check the ingredients on everything you've been using that hasn't worked and find something with a different insecticide in it. You might visit with your vet about it. They can usually suggest or provide something that will work.

Thankfully, since we had the barn fire, we've not had any fleas.

Failbhe 08-17-2012 01:33 AM

I have heard - I haven't tried it myself though - that feeding them a garlic supplement (like this one) will help discourage pests (I'm going to try it next summer, we don't have many fleas here but we have a LOT of ticks, mosquitoes, and biting flies) - it might not be enough on it's own, but in combination with some of the other things you're doing it might help...

LadyDreamer 08-17-2012 10:07 AM

Don't forget to treat your yard too.
Posted via Mobile Device

texasgal 08-17-2012 10:19 AM

Fleas are bad here this year too. The stuff that always worked isn't working, so we are battling them too.

It just takes time and consistancy. Treat dogs, house, yard, dogs, house, yard, dogs, house, yard... lol ...until you get on top of them..

Good luck!

HagonNag 08-17-2012 08:05 PM

boric acid...boraxo. In florida (prime flea country because it never freezes) there are companies that will come and treat your upholstered furniture and carpets. This is what they use and they sprinkle it into the carpet and pound it into the upholstery. It dessicates the fleas. Safe for you and your pets, but it may make them VERY thirsty...be sure and put out extra water for them.

whenever we build a house (my husband says it's my hobby) we sprinkle it on the sills between the drywall. It will prevent ALL bugs, including cockroaches.
Find it at a hardware store... Just be sure and use it places where it won't get wet. Wait awhile and vacuumn thoroughly and then throw away the vacuumn bags. It works.

texasgal 08-17-2012 10:30 PM

They stll sell 20-mule team borax at the little grocery store in my town ...

NorthernMama 09-08-2012 10:59 AM

Does this mean I can sprinkle borax directly onto my dog?

BigGreyHorse 09-08-2012 11:18 AM

Don't know about putting it directly on the dog, but a friend of mine just cleared the fleas from her sons place with borax. Unlike a lot of options, it worked quickly too.

HagonNag 09-08-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernMama (Post 1675919)
Does this mean I can sprinkle borax directly onto my dog?

I wouldn't. Sprinkling it around the house will take care of the fleas. (and the flea eggs) Just treating the house will make your dog thirsty. I have no idea what would happen if you put it ON the dog.