The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Is a Polo acceptable? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/polo-acceptable-134901/)

DoubleS 08-16-2012 10:19 PM

Is a Polo acceptable?

I may be showing English in a show this weekend, but only if it's OK to show in a polo, breeches, tall boots, etc. and no show coat (because I don't own one).. The show is mainly western but it has 2 English classes that are usually fairly small (from what I hear). It's a local show, but not a schooling show like I'm used to. (I've only shown English schooling shows so far). I'll be showing Western like I always do, too at that show.
Would it be OK to wear a white polo in the English Pleasure and English Equitation classes?
Thanks

equiniphile 08-16-2012 10:24 PM

This is something you'll have to check with the show organizer, but honestly, I think it will look out of place if you're not excused because of the lack of show attire. Do you have a friend you can borrow a coat from?

jumanji321 08-17-2012 01:14 AM

Go to a thrift store and buy a cheap blazer. Trust me, WAY cheaper than a regular show coat to start out in. The only way to get out of wearing a show coat at most shows is if the weather is too hot to make wearing a jacket comfortable.

Chevaux 08-17-2012 02:02 PM

Double S --you really should have a jacket (Jumanji made an excellent suggestion for a quick and cheap fix; try for a conservative dark blue or black colour with no pattern although a fine pin stripe might be tolerated).

Jumanji -- those were my thoughts exactly; you have a fine mind.

~*~anebel~*~ 08-17-2012 02:30 PM

It really depends on the show.

Some small shows are nationally sanctioned in which case you are subject to their attire rules which usually require a jacket.
The ones which are unsanctioned are generally far less picky and as long as you are "properly attired" and not in shorts they will be fine.

As far as for the smaller shows, even in the nationally sanctioned ones, I have no issues with someone simply wearing a black or navy sweater without a hood, it doesn't even really need to be a blazer, but check with your show organizer anyways.

JaneyWaney9 08-18-2012 09:38 AM

You could probably check, but I'd assume that it is probably a no.

Even the 4-H show in my area, which has less than 27 competitors and all horses that rarely show, they require the collared shirt and blazer.