The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Potential CrossFit Newbie (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/potential-crossfit-newbie-134903/)

Sharpie 08-16-2012 11:36 PM

Potential CrossFit Newbie

I am looking into getting into CrossFit. What advice do you all have? What should I wear in terms of workout clothes? Can you do crossfit and ride in the same day? How many days a week should I go? There's a box near me that looks legitimate that I was thinking of visiting some time this weekend or a morning next week if I can get up the nerve.

I want to get into better overall shape. Muscle tone/strength, lean-ness, cardio, all of it. I'm okay with my weight, I just want to be stronger and faster than I am now. I don't want to give up riding 4-5 times a week though. I was thinking that I could workout in the AM and then still ride in the evenings... is that just crazy?

merle 08-17-2012 09:14 PM

Be prepared for the hardest workout you've ever had. :lol: CF is very effective, and combined with the Paleo diet, will strip body fat quickly and efficiently. I've never been in as good of shape as I am right now.

I wear a tanktop and either shorts or capris with Vibrams or go barefoot. Cool, comfortable and easy to move in.

Start with 2x a week and ease into it. Work up to 3x a week. Concentrate on your form. Make sure your form is perfect before adding weight. See how you feel. You may or may not want to ride on the days you CF.

Good luck and have fun! :-)

DraftXDressage 08-18-2012 11:09 AM

Have you spoken with the people at the Box yet? They should have a series of CrossFit on-boarding classes (usually about 4 sessions or so) if you have never done CF before.

Sharpie 08-18-2012 03:20 PM

No, I haven't gone in yet. I was planning on going in Monday morning and asking around. Figure I'll pay the 'drop in' fee for a couple of weeks and then actually join once I know that the people are good people and I feel like it may be a fit for me.

c0nny 10-19-2012 01:13 PM

did you ever start crossfit?

I am curious as I am contemplating adding crossfit to my workout routine. Has it helped you? Do you like it?

Conny

Sharpie 10-20-2012 12:37 AM

So far, I love it! I did the intro class, which was very helpful wrt learning the basic exercises and routine and now go twice weekly. In maybe 6 weeks I have noticed dramatic improvement in strength, and I was starting off reasonably fit, so I wasn't expecting that.
Posted via Mobile Device

LikeIke17 10-22-2012 03:13 PM

My trainer did it and LOVED it! She lost weight and got incredibly strong.

Then her sister did it and lost a ton of weight and also loves it. She loves that not only is she losing weight but she is getting stronger and toning muscles.