The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Flys Flys Flys (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/flys-flys-flys-134909/)

nicole25 08-16-2012 11:56 PM

Flys Flys Flys

We have a serious fly problem at my barn. I was wondering if anyone could share any of their tricks with me as to what they do to kill the dang things. We have fly tape literally everywhere that it can possibly be, go through fly spray like crazy, and smack the things on a minute basis.

HELPPPPP:twisted:

eclipseranch 08-17-2012 12:02 AM

not sure if your boarding or at home but I put up country vet fly sprayers in my stalls when I boarded and now have them in my personal barn they help a lot. the other thing is manure clean up..its a must..and get it as far away from the barn as possible. If you are boarding its much more difficult cuz you can't make others clean up after themselves but it makes a huge difference.

Darrin 08-17-2012 12:12 AM

Nothing beats fly predators. My barn started using them, the first year there was still flies but greatly reduced. Year two and there were almost not flies at all.

Fly Control for Horses - Fly Control by Spalding Labs

nicole25 08-17-2012 12:12 AM

I board. We clean up poop as much as possible because we are there all day long. not exactly sure what these vet sprayers are you are talking about. can you tell me about them

nicole25 08-17-2012 12:18 AM

We tried those too!! Maybe we just didn't use them right but I am not sure because our fly population didn't diminish

eclipseranch 08-17-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicole25 (Post 1648744)
I board. We clean up poop as much as possible because we are there all day long. not exactly sure what these vet sprayers are you are talking about. can you tell me about them

you can purchase them at any farm supply or on line.. they are battery operated and mist fly spray every 15 mins in to the stall. I used them for years..last year decided not to and the flies came in like an army..so by mid summer I had them going again. I will never go with out them again.
Country Vet is the brand name

will the BO allow fans keeping the air moving also helps.
I know you said you pick up the manure but where is the disposal? do they keep the spreader conveniently placed for easy access? unfortunately, if they do, it will attract more flies to welcome themselves in to the barn

Joe4d 08-17-2012 05:50 PM

when you say clean up poop, what are you doing with it ? If your just putting it in a big pile yournot doing much good. Fly control is a multi pronged attack,
1. manure managemnt,,, IE little to no moist manure, needs to be spread every few days, you can also use feed through supplements, feed textured feeds and keep chickens, or use a drag harrow. You must control the manure.
2. FLy predators. they eat bunches of flys, simple as that.
3. Traps,,,, but you need the right kind. Those tapes and the add water stinky traps, dont work. They attract flys. and the ones they do catch are not the biting flys you have problems with. You need biting fly traps.
4. pesticides for kiling and repelling. Just dont spray where you release the fly predators.

cakemom 08-17-2012 06:08 PM

I use diatomaceous earth fed to my horses. We have very few flies.
Posted via Mobile Device