The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   How Do You Groom Foot-Feathers? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-do-you-groom-foot-feathers-13501/)

QuarterPony 08-17-2008 04:41 PM

How Do You Groom Foot-Feathers?

Hello, everyone!

I just wanted to ask how everyone groomed the feathers on their horses' feet. Obviously not everyone will be able to answer this, since most breeds don't have the things Clyde's and other drafties are known for, but we'll see...

I do something like this:

1. Gently comb through the feathers so that no knots and tangles remain with a mane comb.
2. Shampoo with a gentle mane and tail cleaner
3. Run some M-T-G (Shapeley's Original Mane and Tail Groom) through them to get out grass stains and to make the feathers look fuller.
4. Comb once again with a mane comb.

This is just what I do, but how about the rest of you? What products do you use?

JustDressageIt 08-17-2008 04:47 PM

Wow... I'm glad I don't have to worry about feathers on Maia, they sound like a lot of work to maintain!! I just cut her little "tufts" off... and viola, no work needs to be done ;)
Sounds like you have a whole regimen that you do quite often!

WSArabians 08-17-2008 05:36 PM

Clip them!

Especially this time of year. Lots of rain and moisture and the long hairs makes them more prone to Scratches.

Plus, it really cleans them up and refines the leg.

Unless, of course, you've got a draft. ;)

QuarterPony 08-17-2008 05:55 PM

Aye, I've a bunch of drafts! (Ardennes, Gypsy Vanners) I have to keep their feathers for shows, and I think they look oh so pretty... *giggles*

JDI: I'd like to imagine Maia with feathers... freaaaaaky

WSArabians 08-17-2008 06:06 PM

Well, no clipping for you then! LOL

My maintainence is easy... just a pair of clippers. ;)

Kirsti Arndt 08-19-2008 09:11 AM

sonnys feathers are not very thick i brush them out then comb them through to make sure there are not booboos and he will promptly step in the nearest ook-

Angel_Leaguer 08-20-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WSArabians
Well, no clipping for you then! LOL

My maintainence is easy... just a pair of clippers. ;)

same here...about once a month or before a show....it makes life soo much easier lol

shona&Fizzi 08-21-2008 11:32 AM

I comb with a plastic curry comb
cut them down ( If needed)
comb with curry again
And then hairspray :lol:

But i wash mine once a week.

Put warm water and shampoo in a bucket, pick p the horses foot slip the bucket under and wash the feathers in the bucket :)
then of corse dry with a hair dryer :lol:

But thats just me and my dumb mare =]

FGRanch 08-21-2008 12:24 PM

Yes me and my clippers are best friends! That is probably the only reason I would never own a draft!