The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   How does he move? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/how-does-he-move-135039/)

barrelbeginner 08-18-2012 03:53 PM

How does he move?

Sorry if this isn't the best. This is my gelding. sunny many of you know him already lol:) he is 5. Do me.. something about his back legs just seems wierd to me.. what do you think? DONT JUDGE MY LUNGING WORK LOL:lol: HAHA I NEVER lunge him.. EVER.. so that's why it sucks.. haha.. :shock::oops:

Do you see anything majorly wrong that could effect his barrel racing? Also, we do a bit of jumping.. just over like 3 inches haha.. but still.. he has to jump over it.. so anything that would concern you by the way he is moving? Thanks:)

~BB
MOV032.mp4 video by sjsj_2009 - Photobucket

barrelbeginner 08-18-2012 03:55 PM

WOW i didnt realize how horrible I was at lunging him right there until now..:-0

RunSlideStop 08-18-2012 04:14 PM

I have to say, you two are cute together. Even though some mistakes were made on your part in communication which leads to his confusion, I like that neither of you seems frustrated. It is refreshing!

Regarding his movement, I think he may just have a little conformation fault. It is hard to tell, but he doesn't seem lame to me, just maybe camped under or sickle-hocked. He is sure cute!
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelbeginner 08-18-2012 04:17 PM

thanks lol. ya I dont think he understood what I was trying to tell him to do. He is funny some times you can see me like shrug my shoulders a couple times like wow.. Im going to post this for people to see how dumb i look lol

Taffy Clayton 08-18-2012 04:19 PM

I could not see anything the matter with his back legs. Do you think he is lame?

I will say on your lounging, I find it a bit easier at the beginning of teaching to lounge to try and get more to the side of your horse, behind the center of his belly and "drive" him forward, sometimes to use a dressage whip, not lounge Whip. as an extension of your arm. You are making good use of your extra arm by pointing where you want him to go, but keep it up and pointing the whole time, so he gets to know the que. I just don't think your horse knows what you are asking yet.
Cute paint.

barrelbeginner 08-18-2012 04:20 PM

thanks:) No i done think he is lame I feel like he is post legged a little?

smrobs 08-18-2012 05:03 PM

Really, to get a better idea of what his back legs look like, we'd need some good conformation photos of him. I don't see anything bad in the video.

MacabreMikolaj 08-19-2012 05:18 AM

Honestly, after the winter I spent hauling to this one particular barn, you are a breath of fresh air. Your horse clearly isn't understanding well/or is trained to lunge and you have a lovely patient persistence. You are firm and know when to stop and back up so to speak to let him get his bearings. You'll have him lunging beautifully in no time! I seriously was starting to believe NOBODY knew how to lunge a horse after this past winter!

I agree, he appears to possibly be a bit post legged and just doesn't have as much natural swing with the back legs. He's also got his head straight up and is being evasive and difficult for you. I think you'd see a MUCH nicer gait if he'd drop his head and use his back a bit but he's very young and would rather prance of course! I don't see anything that would prevent him from doing barrels, he may just have a slightly choppier gait to ride!

He looks to be an absolute sweetheart in any case, you two suit each other!
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelbeginner 08-19-2012 09:52 AM

Thanks:) he is a sweetheart.. never bucked me off except once hehe.. when he was 3.. so that is understandable.. but not exceptable.. rode him hard that day.. and never done it since.. most of my friends like him as well.. he just needs some work lol:)

equiniphile 08-19-2012 11:13 AM

We could give you a better assessment jf you pushed him out on a larger circle. It's hard on his joints and his balance to try and jog around in a small circle, so what we see may not be an accurate representation of his movement.