The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Starting out jumping, cheap type of boots for horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/starting-out-jumping-cheap-type-boots-135041/)

Leonsbrushofluck 08-18-2012 04:08 PM

Starting out jumping, cheap type of boots for horse

I am just starting out jumping my horse and don't plan on spending 100 dollars on a pair of boots for him for something he may not even continue to do. What other type of boots can I use to help protect his hooves/legs? We're jumping extremely small right now but would rather start now then later.. any help would be great! Or if you're even selling something reasonable! thanks :)

Saskia 08-18-2012 08:32 PM

I personally don't think boots do much.

Just get a pair of brushing boots.

Copperhead 08-18-2012 10:48 PM

I use polo wraps. They are cheap and protect the leg. You have to learn how to wrap them though, or you can injure the horse.

Leonsbrushofluck 08-18-2012 11:48 PM

I know that's kind of why I haven't done them because I don't wanna hurt him!
Posted via Mobile Device

AngieLee 08-18-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonsbrushofluck (Post 1651001)
I know that's kind of why I haven't done them because I don't wanna hurt him!
Posted via Mobile Device

Do you know anyone who can teach you. I havnt done it in about 2 years so ill need a re-cap next time i use them. but basicly you dont wanna pull on the tendon.

DancingArabian 08-19-2012 12:04 AM

I think the WhinnyWear lady has a video on her website.
Posted via Mobile Device

Copperhead 08-19-2012 12:08 AM

In wrapping the polo wraps, you line the Velcro up and roll it that way.

When you wrap the leg, you start at the top of the leg, below the knee. You want to wrap to the outside and bring the roll up between the horses legs. So you start at the front of the leg, wrap it back towards you, roll it between the legs and continue. This pulls the tendon to the inside. You never want to pull the tendons to the outside. That's how you injur the horse. After you wrap once, you pull it snug and go for another round. Pull snug, wrap again.

You travel down the cannon bone until you hit the fetlock. Wrap 3 times around the fetlock and rewrap going back up the horses leg.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...56278894_n.jpg

Not the best pic, but you can see the polo wrap on the rear left leg, how it goes from back to front through the Inside of the horses leg. My instructor told me that imagine the roll was a fish, and it was swimming up stream through the horses leg and towards its head.

Anyways, I will try to find you a video. Polo wraps take practice but I love them over boots.

equiniphile 08-19-2012 12:16 AM

I would hold off on the polos until you have someone to show you. They're very easy to screw up.

In the meantime, buy a pair of cheap galloping/splint boots and possibly bell boots if he tends to forge. Something like this will do the job:

Basic Neoprene Splint Boots - Horse.com

Copperhead 08-19-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 1651020)
I would hold off on the polos until you have someone to show you. They're very easy to screw up.

In the meantime, buy a pair of cheap galloping/splint boots and possibly bell boots if he tends to forge. Something like this will do the job:

Basic Neoprene Splint Boots - Horse.com

I was never good at boots! Once I got the idea with polo wraps they were much easier for me.

I'd like to retract some previous information since I read it over and realized that I stated a couple things incorrectly. When you wrap, you never want to purposefully pull the tendon. You tug the wrap around the cannon bone, not the tendon. However, if you wrap the wrong way and pull the tendon towards the outside, the horse could bow that tendon very easily.

Anyways, he's a quick video that I liked over the others. There are many "how to" videos out there. I liked this one the best. Only thing is that I would have rather she ended the wrap at the top of the leg instead of in the middle. Enjoy!